Discussion question from university physics

In summary, when dropping an object from a certain height, it takes time T to reach the ground with no air resistance. If dropped from 3 times that height, it would take sqrt3*T to reach the ground.
hagglebaby

Homework Statement

When you drop an object from a certain height, it takes time T to reach the ground with no air resistance. If you dropped it from 3 times that height, how long (in terms of T) would it take to reach to the ground?

Homework Equations

displacement=V0t+.5g(t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

i got T=sqrt2 and T=sqrt6 but now I'm stuck on how to set up the next proportion. Also would like to see how you started this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
hagglebaby said:

Homework Statement

When you drop an object from a certain height, it takes time T to reach the ground with no air resistance. If you dropped it from 3 times that height, how long (in terms of T) would it take to reach to the ground?

Homework Equations

displacement=V0t+.5g(t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

i got T=sqrt2 and T=sqrt6 but now I'm stuck on how to set up the next proportion. Also would like to see how you started this one.

Perhaps you could consider the case of dropping a mass , on Earth where g = 9.8, from a height of 1 m and 3 m then 8 m and 24 m and see if that gives you any hints.

thank you! I think the answer is sqrt3

Related to Discussion question from university physics

1. What is the purpose of discussing university physics?

The purpose of discussing university physics is to engage in critical thinking and problem-solving related to fundamental concepts and principles in physics. It also helps students develop a deeper understanding of how the physical world works and how to apply these concepts in real-world situations.

2. What topics are typically covered in a university physics discussion?

University physics discussions often cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. These topics may vary depending on the specific university and course curriculum.

3. How do discussions in university physics differ from lectures?

Discussions in university physics involve active participation and collaboration among students, whereas lectures tend to be more one-sided with the instructor delivering information. Discussions also allow for more in-depth exploration and application of concepts, whereas lectures primarily focus on delivering content.

4. How can participating in university physics discussions improve my learning?

Participating in university physics discussions can improve learning by promoting critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. It also allows for a deeper understanding of complex concepts through active engagement and peer-to-peer interactions.

5. What resources are available for further help with university physics discussions?

Many universities offer resources such as tutoring services, study groups, and online forums for students who need additional help with university physics discussions. In addition, the instructor and teaching assistants are also available to provide guidance and support.