Discussing Advantages/Disadvantages of 2-Stroke Turbocharged CI Engines

In summary, the two most common types of engine used in small aircraft are the 2-stroke and the 4-stroke. The 2-stroke generates more power than the 4-stroke, but is smaller and has a more smoky performance. The disadvantages of the 2-stroke include the fact that it requires more maintenance and is difficult to clean up, and the fact that it is less efficient than the 4-stroke. The advantages of the 4-stroke include the fact that it is more efficient and less smoky than the 2-stroke.
ank_gl
ok now my practicals are 15 days away and i n my friends constantly discuss about advantages and disadvantages of several combinations like 2-stroke SI engine with supercharging or 4stroke CI with CRDi etc etc. since people here are more experienced and have far more facilities than i do, i want to discuss it. so far we have picked out a 2stroke turbocharged CI engine. a 2 stroke obviously generates more power and therefore for same power output, ll be smaller. 2 stroke has a more smoky performance due to burning of lubricating oil, but with a turbocharger, air can be directly directed through a manifold to the cylinder and also crankcase can be wet. and many more things. then why don't we see this combination much in use? what are the further advantages and disadvantages. also i am not much of an expert in this subject, i have the book knowledge and i do know the system pretty well, but still i want to discuss a lot about it. hope i can get a discussion going

Engineering news on Phys.org
It all depends on application. 2 strokes tend to win most of the performance/efficiency balances for very small (model aircraft, petrol hedgetrimmer etc) engines, and very large (marine propulsion, 8MW power generation etc) engines. Emissions don't matter so much on the small engines, where low cost and simplicity are more important. And very large (expensive) engines can afford to use clever control and combustion systems to optimise efficiency, and clean up the emissions afterwards.

As you said, 2 strokes have smoky performance; this would be difficult to clean up in your average passenger car sufficiently well to pass modern emissions standards. Add to this the extra maintenance and noise you'd likely have to endure, and consider that you probably wouldn't be getting much more performance (and we don't struggle to get enough power for a car out of a 4 stroke anyway) and you'll see why 4 strokes are generally preferred.

thats why i said we can turbocharge a CI engine, then smoke bcoz of the burning of lubricating oil ll be reduced

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

Last edited by a moderator:
Some interesting discussion going on about engines including rotary engines over at the Hoverclub of America forum.

Link:
http://www.hoverclubofamerica.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=1360

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Discussing Advantages/Disadvantages of 2-Stroke Turbocharged CI Engines

What is a 2-stroke turbocharged CI engine?

A 2-stroke turbocharged CI engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses a two-stroke cycle and a turbocharger to increase the amount of air entering the engine. The engine also uses compression ignition (CI) instead of spark ignition, which means that fuel is ignited by the heat of compressed air rather than a spark plug.

What are the advantages of a 2-stroke turbocharged CI engine?

The main advantages of a 2-stroke turbocharged CI engine are its high power output, compact design, and fuel efficiency. The use of a turbocharger allows for more air to be compressed and mixed with fuel, resulting in increased power. The 2-stroke cycle also means that the engine is smaller and lighter than a 4-stroke engine, making it ideal for applications where space is limited. Additionally, the compression ignition process is more efficient and can result in better fuel economy.

What are the disadvantages of a 2-stroke turbocharged CI engine?

One of the main disadvantages of a 2-stroke turbocharged CI engine is its higher emissions compared to a 4-stroke engine. The combustion process in a 2-stroke engine can produce more pollutants, such as nitrogen oxides and unburned hydrocarbons. The engine also requires a lubricant to be mixed with the fuel, which can lead to increased emissions. Additionally, 2-stroke engines tend to have shorter lifespans and may require more frequent maintenance.

What are the applications of 2-stroke turbocharged CI engines?

2-stroke turbocharged CI engines are commonly used in high-performance vehicles, such as motorcycles, snowmobiles, and some small cars. They are also used in marine applications, such as boats and ships, due to their compact design and high power output. In addition, 2-stroke turbocharged CI engines are often used in power generators and industrial equipment.

What is the future outlook for 2-stroke turbocharged CI engines?

The future of 2-stroke turbocharged CI engines is uncertain due to increasing concerns about environmental impact and emissions. While the engines offer high power and efficiency, their higher emissions may make them less desirable in the long term. However, advancements in technology and emissions control systems may improve the sustainability of 2-stroke engines in the future.