Discrete measurement operator definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of defining a discrete Gaussian measurement operator for discrete eigenstates, and suggests using the Binomial distribution for this purpose. The idea of shifting the distribution to a new mean is also proposed, and a new analogue measurement operator is defined. It is shown that this operator satisfies the required property for measurement operators.
jim jones
Consider the Gaussian position measurement operators $$\hat{A}_y = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}ae^{\frac{-(x-y)^2}{2c^2}}|x \rangle \langle x|dx$$ where ##|x \rangle## are position eigenstates. I can show that this satisfies the required property of measurement operators: $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}A_{y}^{\dagger}A_{y}dy = 1$$ where ##1## is the identity operator. I am interested in defining an analogue of this continuous Gaussian measurement operator for some discrete eigenstates ##|m\rangle##. These are discrete eigenstates rather than continuous as above, hence I'm not sure how to define the Gaussian part of ##\hat{A}_y##. I've considered the Binomial distribution $$Pr(X = k) :=
\begin{pmatrix}
n \\
k
\end{pmatrix}p^{k}(1-p)^{n-k}$$ for ##p=0.5##, since this is a discrete probability density function which resembles the normal distribution as ##n \to \infty##, but I'm not sure how to implement this since this distribution is only centered at positive integers. Does anyone have an idea of what would be a reasonable way to define the Gaussian part of this measurement operator for the discrete case?

Thanks or any assistance, let me know if any clarity is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Danny Boy
Physics news on Phys.org
Subtract the mean from the binomial random variable ##k## in order to centre the distribution at zero. Then the limit as ##n\to\infty## will be a Gaussian with zero mean.

$$
Pr(X = k) :=
\begin{pmatrix}
n \\
k'
\end{pmatrix}p^{k'}(1-p)^{n-k'}
\quad\textrm{where }
k'=round(k+np)
$$

Thanks for your response. Consider the following idea if you have a chance, let me know what you think. If we consider ##X \sim Binom(n,p)## with change of variable ##Z_c = X -np + c##, hence it follows that ##E(Z_c) = c## and ##Var(Z_c) = Var(X)##. Hence we have the distribution shifted to a new mean ##c##.

We then have the probability distribution ##Pr(Z_k|c) := Pr(Z_c = k -np +c) = Pr(X=k)##. If we define an analogue ##\hat{A}_c## to the measurement operator ##\hat{A}_y## above as we have for the continuous case, then we can define $$\hat{A}_c = \sum_{k}\sqrt{Pr(Z_k|c)}|Z_{k} \rangle \langle Z_k|$$
hence we have $$\sum_c A_{c}^{\dagger}A_c = \sum_{c}\sum_{j} P(Z_{j}|c) | Z_j \rangle \langle Z_j | = \sum_{j} \sum_{c} P(Z_{j}|c) |Z_{j} \rangle \langle Z_j| = \sum_j |Z_j \rangle \langle Z_j | = 1$$ What do you think of this idea?

Related to Discrete measurement operator definition

1. What is a discrete measurement operator?

A discrete measurement operator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe how a physical system changes when it is measured. It represents the possible outcomes of a measurement and how they are related to the system's state.

2. How is a discrete measurement operator defined?

A discrete measurement operator is defined as a Hermitian matrix with orthonormal eigenvectors. The rows and columns of the matrix correspond to the possible measurement outcomes, and the elements represent the probability amplitudes for each outcome.

3. What is the difference between a discrete measurement operator and a continuous measurement operator?

A discrete measurement operator represents a measurement with a finite number of possible outcomes, while a continuous measurement operator represents a measurement with an infinite number of possible outcomes. In other words, a discrete measurement operator is used when the measurement can only take on certain discrete values, while a continuous measurement operator is used when the measurement can take on any value within a continuous range.

4. How does a discrete measurement operator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. A discrete measurement operator can be used to calculate the expected values for position and momentum measurements, and thus, it is closely related to the uncertainty principle.

5. What are some applications of discrete measurement operators?

Discrete measurement operators are used in many areas of quantum mechanics, such as in calculating the probability of a particular measurement outcome, determining the evolution of a system over time, and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum systems. They are also essential in understanding phenomena such as quantum tunneling and entanglement.