Discrete Mathematics with possible Quotient Remainder Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Quotient Remainder THM to solve for the possible values of m squared when divided by 5. The equation n=dq+r is mentioned and it is suggested to use d=5. Modular arithmetic is also mentioned as a possible approach. It is concluded that when m is squared and taken mod 5, there are only three possible remainders, which are 0, 1, and 4.
tennesseewiz
Homework Statement

For all integers m, m[tex]^{}2[/tex]=5k, or m[tex]^{}2[/tex]=5k+1, or m[tex]^{}2[/tex]=5k+4 for some integer k.

Relevant equations
I'm pretty sure we have to use the Quotient Remainder THM, which is:

Given any integer n and positive integer d, there exists unique integers q and r such that,

n=dq+r and 0 [tex]\leq[/tex]r<d.

But that's as far as I got. I have no idea what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it seems pretty obvious what you want d to be. Then square it.

No, I have no idea what d is supposed to be. Are you saying that d should equal m and that d squared is m squared?

Compare 5k+1 to dq+r.

Aaahhh...

So d=5, k=q, and r=1. Would n=m^2? But how would that help me. I mean if you take the square root then n might not possible be an integer anymore...

If you've encountered modular arithmetic, use

Code:
n (mod 5)     0  1  2  3  4
n^2 (mod 5)   0  1  4  4  1

For any number m, you can write m=5q+r. So what is m2? Combine factors of 5 to see what the remainder is for different r.

Okay, I think I'm getting the general idea. I know that r can only be 0,1,2,3 or 4, but when m is squared, those numbers still have to be lower than five, so 0^2 is less than five, as is 1^2 and 2^2. Am I on the right track?

Yes, there are five possible remainders, but squared and taken mod 5 there are only three.

Related to Discrete Mathematics with possible Quotient Remainder Theorem

1. What is Discrete Mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, such as integers, graphs, and statements. It is different from continuous mathematics, which deals with continuous structures, such as real numbers and curves.

2. How is Discrete Mathematics used in real life?

Discrete Mathematics has applications in various fields, including computer science, engineering, and finance. It is used to solve problems involving discrete structures, such as network optimization, coding theory, and cryptography.

3. What is the Quotient Remainder Theorem in Discrete Mathematics?

The Quotient Remainder Theorem, also known as the Euclidean Division Theorem, states that when an integer is divided by another integer, the quotient and remainder can be uniquely determined. It is commonly used to find the greatest common divisor of two integers.

4. How is the Quotient Remainder Theorem applied in computer science?

In computer science, the Quotient Remainder Theorem is used in algorithms for efficient integer division and modular arithmetic. It is also used in error-correcting codes, which are essential in data transmission and storage.

5. What are some other important concepts in Discrete Mathematics?

Some other important concepts in Discrete Mathematics include combinatorics, graph theory, and logic. Combinatorics deals with counting and arranging objects, while graph theory studies the properties of networks and relationships between objects. Logic is the study of reasoning and proofs, which is essential in all areas of mathematics.