Discrete Mathematics Absolute Value Proof

In summary, to prove the statement "For all real numbers x and y, |x| times |y| = |xy|", you can break it down into four cases and logically prove that the statement is true for each case by considering the situations where both x and y are positive, x is negative and y is positive, x is positive and y is negative, and both x and y are negative. However, it is also valid to combine two cases together and argue that there are only three cases to consider.
tennesseewiz

Homework Statement

Prove the following statement:
For all real numbers x and y, |x| times |y| = |xy|

Homework Equations

I really don't know how to start this as a formal proof.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking I'd have to break it down into four cases and logically prove that the statement is true because no matter what, x times y is going to have the same numerical value as it's opposite number (of course beside it being negative) because once you take the absolute value, it's going to be positive anyways.
Case 1: Suppose both x and y are positive real numbers.
Case 2: Suppose x is a negative real number and y is a positive real number.
Case 3: Suppose x is a positive real number and y is a negative real number.
Case 4: Suppose both x and y are positive.

Am I on the right track or am I going in the wrong direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you want to do cases you only need to do 3. You can WLOG two of them together.

Do you mean cases 2 and 3 then?

Yes, the situation where a> 0 and b< 0 is exactly the same as a< 0 and b>0. However, I would not discourage you from considering the two cases separately. You are completely correct to argue that there are 2 cases for x and 2 cases for y and so (2)(2)= 4 cases altogether.

Related to Discrete Mathematics Absolute Value Proof

What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete Mathematics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects, such as integers and graphs, rather than continuous objects, such as real numbers and curves.

What is an absolute value?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on the number line, regardless of its positive or negative sign. It is always a positive number.

What is a proof in discrete mathematics?

A proof in discrete mathematics is a rigorous and logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a statement. It typically involves using axioms, definitions, and previously proven theorems to establish the validity of a mathematical statement.

How do you prove an absolute value statement in discrete mathematics?

To prove an absolute value statement in discrete mathematics, you need to show that the statement is true for all possible values of the variable. This can be done through direct proof, proof by contradiction, or proof by induction.

Why is understanding absolute value proofs important in discrete mathematics?

Understanding absolute value proofs is important in discrete mathematics because it allows us to prove theorems and statements that involve absolute value, which is a fundamental concept in many mathematical fields. It also helps us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in various scientific and engineering fields.