Discrete Math- Irrational numbers, proof or counterexample

In summary, the statement "If r is any rational number and if s is any irrational number, then r/s is irrational" is false. A counterexample is provided by setting r = 0 and s = √2, which results in r/s = 0, a rational number. Some people may think the statement is true, but this is incorrect and can be proven by providing a counterexample.
abjf9299

Homework Statement

Determine if the statement is true or false. Prove those that are true and give a counterexample for those that are false.

If r is any rational number and if s is any irrational number, then r/s is irrational.

Homework Equations

A rational number is equal to the ratio of two other numbers.
An irrational number can't be expressed as the ratio of two other numbers.

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that this statement is false. As my counterexample, I set r = 0 and s = (2)^1/2 .

r/s then equals 0 which is rational.

I have seen several people give different answers to this problem (our professor let's us consult with each other on the homework). Am I right? If I am wrong, could someone give me a proof for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
abjf9299 said:
If r is any rational number and if s is any irrational number, then r/s is irrational.

You're correct. To prove this is false, you need to provide a counterexample for one situation, which you have done. By different answers though, what do you mean? Do some people think it's true, or are they providing different counterexamples? If they're just providing different counterexamples, there's nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the answer! By different answers I mean they think it's true and provided "proofs" to support their assertions, but I know where they made their mistakes now. Thanks again for your help!

Related to Discrete Math- Irrational numbers, proof or counterexample

1. What are irrational numbers?

Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers and have an infinite decimal expansion without a repeating pattern. Examples include pi (3.141592...) and the square root of 2 (1.414213...).

2. How do you prove a number is irrational?

To prove a number is irrational, you must show that it cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. This can be done using proof by contradiction or by showing that its decimal expansion is non-terminating and non-repeating.

3. Can irrational numbers be negative?

Yes, irrational numbers can be negative. For example, -√2 is an irrational number because it cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers.

4. What is a counterexample in discrete math?

In discrete math, a counterexample is a specific case or example that disproves a conjecture or statement. It is used to show that a statement is not always true.

5. How is discrete math used in real life?

Discrete math is used in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and cryptography. It is used to solve problems involving discrete objects and relationships, such as in data analysis, graph theory, and algorithms.