Discrete Math Help (sad story)

In summary, the conversation includes proofs by contradiction, finding the union and intersection of sets, and using the method of proof by contrapositive. The first problem involves proving that both x and y are odd using the fact that xy is odd. The second problem asks to find the elements of two sets A and B, and then the intersection and union of these sets. The third problem asks for an explanation of a given statement about a set. The fourth problem involves finding the elements of a set that satisfies a given condition. The fifth problem asks to prove two statements involving sets using set notation. The sixth problem involves using the method of proof by contrapositive to prove an implication involving sets. The seventh problem asks to prove an equation involving sets
Chopkilla

Homework Statement

1. Let x and y be positive integers and assume that xy is odd.
Prove the following statement using the method of proof by contradiction:

Both x and y are odd.

2. Let A, B and C be the following sets:

A = (x є N | x< 25) B=(x e N | x = 2m for some positive integer m)
C = (x є N | x = 3m for some positive integer m)

Find each of the following sets. In each case, list all of the elements of the set.

i) A – (B u C) ii)A n C

3) Let A = {0,1,2,3,4,{0,2,4},{1,3,5},6,8}
is the following statement true or false?
Explain your answer
(э x єA) (x < A)

4) let A={1,2,3,4,5} find the following set, listing all of it's elements
{s є P(A)| 3 < 151}

5 let A and B be sets. Prove the following statements
i) AnB<A ii) A<AUB

6) let A.B and C be sets. Consider the following implication:
If A< BUC then A - B<C.
prove this implication using the method of proof by contrapositive.

7) let A,B and C be sets. Prove that (A-B)-(A-C)= (AnC)-B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i have been going to this class now for a month and have only been able to attend 2 classes just recently, my father has passed away and it has been very hard for me, i tried negotiating with my professor but he is very ignorant and cold hearted to care about my personal life, i have this due by tomorrow morning, i got it two days ago, and have not been able to catch up from my readings for the last assignment yet (which i failed... because i did not attend classes) i am constantly learning the stuff i have been given but can't seem to understand these few questions just yet, so if anyone could help me out.. i would greatly appreciate it... i believe i have figured out the first one.. which i will write my attempt..

1) x є N
y є N xy = odd
assume x and y are even then xy is even (10x20 = 200)
because an even number multiplied by a even number is even resulting in a even product.
xy is even buy xy cannot be even if xy is odd this is a contradiction there for x and y are odd there for this statement is true...

that's what i tried to make of it.. still trying to figure out the rest.. please if someone could help me out.. i understand if you do my work you may feel i won't understand it, but i will be studying this and learning it. not just pawning off the answers. just to clear my conscience
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry that your father passed away.

However, the fact that you consider any person who does not do what you want them to do to be "ignorant" doesn't speak very well for you. I miss my mother and father every day of my life- and they've been dead for 12 years. Sorry to sound heartless but that's life. No one is required to care about your personal life.

You have posted the set question separately and I responded there- are you saying you do not know how to find the union and intersection of sets?

As far as the first problem is concerned, you say "assume x and y are even"
You are asked to prove "x and y are odd" by contradiction. The opposite of "x and y are odd" is "either x or y is even"- not that both are. What you really want is that the product of an even integer with any integer is even. Are you aware that a number is even if and only if it can be written as 2n for some integer n? Use that.

Related to Discrete Math Help (sad story)

What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects or structures, such as integers, graphs, and algorithms. It is used to solve problems that involve counting, logic, and decision-making.

Why is discrete math important?

Discrete math is important because it provides the foundation for many areas of computer science, including cryptography, coding theory, and computer algorithms. It also has applications in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering.

What topics are covered in discrete math?

Some of the topics covered in discrete math include set theory, logic, combinatorics, graph theory, and algorithms. It also includes topics such as probability, number theory, and game theory.

Is discrete math difficult to learn?

This can vary from person to person, but in general, discrete math can be challenging due to its abstract nature. However, with practice and perseverance, it can be mastered like any other subject.

How can I improve my understanding of discrete math?

To improve your understanding of discrete math, it is important to practice solving problems and to work through examples. It can also be helpful to seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups.