Discrete Math/Combinatorics Question

• Thread starter Rockoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discrete
In summary, the first part of the question asks for the number of integers between 100 and 1,000,000 with a sum of digits equal to 6, which can be solved using the theorem C(11,6) - C(7,6). For the second part, the number of integers with a sum of digits less than 6 can be found by adding the solutions for each case (sum of digits equal to 1,2,3,4,5).
Rockoz

Homework Statement

This question has two parts:

a) How many integers are there between 100 and 1,000,000 with the property that the sum of their digits is equal to 6?

b) How many integers are there between 100 and 1,000,000 with the property that the sum of their digits is less than 6?

Homework Equations

Theorem: The number of solutions in nonnegative integers of the equation
x1 + x2 + . . . + xn = k

is C(n+k-1,k) where C is for combination.

The Attempt at a Solution

part a) Here is how I tried to look at the problem. For integers between 100 and 1,000,000 we have integers of the form x1x2x3x4x5x6x7 where x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 + x6 + x7 = 6.
We must have x1 (the first digit) be equal to zero since we are between 100 an 1,000,000 and the case where x1= 1 wouldn't matter to us anyways. The other digits can be from 0 through 9. So we are left with x2+x3+x4+x5+x6+x7 = 6. The <=9 part doesn't matter here since the highest any of these xi's can be is 6. We solve for the number of solutions to this equation to get the number of integers. Using the theorem above I solve this as C(6+6-1,6) = C(11,6).

But I believe this is actually the answer for integers from 1-1,000,000 and so I have overcounted (I am including integers like 0000006). So I think what I can do here is subtract the integers from 1-100 whose digits add up to 6. For this we have integers of the form y1y2y3 where y1 = 0 and y2 and y3 can be 0 through 9. We have y2 + y3 = 6. Using the theorem above I have C(2 + 6 - 1,6) = C(7,6) integers.

So I think the answer for part a is C(11,6) - C(7,6) = 455

part b) I don't know how to approach this because of the less than part. Would I have to take this into cases (equal to 1,2,3,4,5) and then add these?

Thank you very much for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The approach to part (a) seems correct :approve:

For the second one you need to use the same approach adding all the 5 cases.

Related to Discrete Math/Combinatorics Question

1. What is Discrete Math/Combinatorics?

Discrete Math/Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects or quantities, rather than continuous ones. It involves the study of discrete structures such as graphs, networks, and finite sets, and their properties and relationships.

2. What are some real-world applications of Discrete Math/Combinatorics?

Discrete Math/Combinatorics has many practical applications, such as in computer science, cryptography, operations research, and statistics. It is used to optimize processes, analyze networks, design algorithms, and more.

3. What are the main concepts in Discrete Math/Combinatorics?

Some key concepts in Discrete Math/Combinatorics include counting principles, graph theory, set theory, probability, and logic. These concepts are used to solve problems related to discrete structures and objects.

4. How is Discrete Math/Combinatorics different from other branches of mathematics?

Unlike other branches of mathematics that deal with continuous objects and quantities, Discrete Math/Combinatorics focuses on discrete structures and objects. It also often involves problem-solving and the use of mathematical models to represent real-world situations.

5. What skills are needed to excel in Discrete Math/Combinatorics?

To excel in Discrete Math/Combinatorics, one needs strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and principles. Good logical reasoning and attention to detail are also important for success in this field.