Discrete Force Fields: Quantized or Infinite?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of digital physics and the possibility of force fields being quantized and extending to infinity for conservation of energy. The speaker brings up the idea of discrete steps and the proven discreteness of the universe through quantum mechanics. They also mention the possibility of a field dropping off like a step or continuously decreasing as distance from the source increases.
GRB 080319B
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
GRB 080319B said:
If the universe is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_physics#Wheeler.27s_.22it_from_bit.22", then would force fields be quantized (not extend to infinity)? Must force fields extend infinitely for conservation of energy (transmission of em waves)?

I think something discrete can still be infinite, so I don't know if you can jump to these kinds of conclusions. Say you have a staircase that goes up in steps, it still could go up infinitely high even though you can only move up it in discrete steps.

Anyway, I think the universe has already been proven to be discrete in many ways through quantum mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:
DragonPetter said:
I think something discrete can still be infinite, so I don't know if you can jump to these kinds of conclusions. Say you have a staircase that goes up in steps, it still could go up infinitely high even though you can only move up it in discrete steps.

Anyway, I think the universe has already been proven to be discrete in many ways through quantum mechanics.

To take your staircase example, if walking down the steps is equivalent to decreasing field strength as distance from the source is increased, then a finite amount of steps is required to reach the bottom (field strength = 0, some attractive force) if the height of the steps is not infinitesimal. As opposed to a theoretical ramp, which has a continuous slope and decreases asymptotically to the bottom. Or how the decay of a radioactive atom after one half life results in either one or zero radioactive atoms, is there a discrete amount of field strength lost for a distance increased? Does the field drop off like a step or continuously decrease to 0 as the distance from the source approaches infinity?

Related to Discrete Force Fields: Quantized or Infinite?

1. What is a discrete force field?

A discrete force field is a type of physical model that describes the forces acting on particles or objects in a system. It is "discrete" because it considers the forces to be localized and quantized, rather than continuous and infinite.

2. How is a discrete force field different from an infinite force field?

In an infinite force field, the forces are considered to be continuous and extend infinitely in all directions. In contrast, a discrete force field considers the forces to be limited in scope and localized to specific points or regions.

3. What is meant by "quantized" in the context of discrete force fields?

"Quantized" refers to the idea that the forces in a discrete force field are restricted to specific discrete values, rather than being able to take on any value within a continuous range. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

4. How are discrete force fields used in scientific research?

Discrete force fields are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and materials science. They are particularly useful for studying the behavior of small particles, such as atoms and molecules, and can provide valuable insights into the properties and interactions of these systems.

5. What are the potential limitations of using a discrete force field?

While discrete force fields can provide valuable insights into physical systems, they also have their limitations. For example, they may not accurately describe the behavior of larger systems or systems that involve complex interactions. Additionally, the discrete nature of these force fields can make it difficult to accurately model continuous systems or phenomena.