Discovering the Perfect Eating Spot in the UK

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary, Ryan likes to eat out at local places that serve Americanized Chinese food. He likes the Wexford Ale House because the food is fast and the selection of craft beers is good. He dislikes Evo because he doesn't like the atmosphere. He likes the Hi-Ho Mongolian Grill because the food is fast and the variety of food is good.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do you have a favorite place to eat out? i have found an idyllic place were one has lovely vistas,
the food is fantastic although a bit pricey, anyone who comes to the UK in my neck of the wood i will take there :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
There's lots of nice pubs. Was in Sandwich last week and had the best scampi and chips ever, in the pub opposite the market. For fish and chips it's hard to beat the little pub in the historic fishermans area of Hastings. Norfolk is another place I have eaten nice pub grub. Good pubs all over the place and unfortunately,many which are not so good.

wolram said:
Do you have a favorite place to eat out? i have found an idyllic place were one has lovely vistas,
the food is fantastic although a bit pricey, anyone who comes to the UK in my neck of the wood i will take there :approve:
Whereabouts is it? :smile:

I love pho Vietnamese soup, I try to visit a new joint every 3rd day, there's hundreds in the Northwest

Ryan,its my secret place so you have come visit before i tell you

Lol well I'm English so for all I know I live right near it :-p

I can't really eat out any more, except for maybe a burger. Firstly, I very rarely get out of my house. Second, when my stomach expands from eating more than a small portion, it prevents my lungs from moving fully and I can't breathe.
That having been said, I love The Keg. There are a couple of different locations in Calgary. They have the best filet mignon with stuffed potato that I've ever tasted. Smugglers is also very good.

There were some great places in upstate NY and outside of Washington DC that I really loved. Beautiful scenery and great food. Of course my all time favorite restaurant was Louie's on the Lake in Clear Lake outside of Houston ages ago, it no longer exists, the food wasn't special, but it was tasty, it was famous for the "all you can eat seafood buffet", for pretty cheap, the restaurant had all glass walls facing the lake, so relaxing, sailboats had a dock there and there was a helio pad for the locals that had their own helicopters. The fried frog's legs were great, although I feel guilty for eating them.

Haven't been to a great restaurant in ages, they don't have any here. I'd say the best here is mediocre.

Last edited:
The Wexford Ale House. In Wexford, PA. Great food and a lovely selection of craft brews.

Evo said:
There were some great places in upstate NY and outside of Washington DC that I really loved. Beautiful scenery and great food.

Have you heard of that new restaurant on the moon, Evo? Great food but no atmosphere?

http://instantrimshot.com/

DiracPool said:
Have you heard of that new restaurant on the moon, Evo? Great food but no atmosphere?

http://instantrimshot.com/
Lol!

This local place called Hi-Ho Mongolian Grill. You're given a bowl, and you fill it up with various types of food. I do corn, broccoli, chicken, beef, some other meat that I can't remember, shrimp, and some imitation crab meat (essentially an assortment of fish), and then I pile it high with some noodles and add some amazing sauce to it.

I could eat that stuff for every meal.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
This local place called Hi-Ho Mongolian Grill. You're given a bowl, and you fill it up with various types of food. I do corn, broccoli, chicken, beef, some other meat that I can't remember, shrimp, and some imitation crab meat (essentially an assortment of fish), and then I pile it high with some noodles and add some amazing sauce to it.

I could eat that stuff for every meal.

Too complicated...

Any place that serves fish and ships the English way would make my day. That said, I haven't had one since I left England :(

DiracPool said:
Too complicated...

We get our food in less than 10 minutes each time: You just go up, put together your food, stand around for about three minutes while the chefs cook your food on a giant stove, and you're good to go.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
We get our food in less than 10 minutes each time: You just go up, put together your food, stand around for about three minutes while the chefs cook your food on a giant stove, and you're good to go.

It was a joke, Freeze, I'm a Benihana's junkie (on those rare occasions I can afford it).

DiracPool said:
It was a joke, Freeze, I'm a Benihana's junkie (on those rare occasions I can afford it).

:-p Fair enough. I was assuming you weren't joking because, at most restaurants, it's as simple as just pointing at an item on the menu and then waiting for the food to arrive; having to go up and individually select everything is a tad bit more involved.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
:-p Fair enough. I was assuming you weren't joking because, at most restaurants, it's as simple as just pointing at an item on the menu and then waiting for the food to arrive; having to go up and individually select everything is a tad bit more involved.

I typically pick steak, shrimp, mushrooms, some bean sprouts, plum sauce, and some others I can't remember.

Gad said:
Any place that serves fish and ships the English way would make my day. That said, I haven't had one since I left England :(

They serve ships in England?

DiracPool said:
They serve ships in England?

:smile:
hips. lol

Gad said:
:smile:
hips. lol
Can't buy hips here. :devil:

**CHIPS!
Goodness! :blushing:

The Takahashi

No windows. No view. Just food, and some atmosphere.

My brother told me, when he worked for Tektronix, that visitors from Japan would request to go to this place. We now have http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/24/2357/Portland/Sushi-Restaurants in town. I'm not sure how many there were 20 years ago, when I started going. Maybe 10.

History

Ruth and Seiji Takahashi began their plans for a future restaurant, as far back as 1981, while still residing in Orio, Japan. They sought out and purchased ceramic pots, jugs, knick knacks, old chests, and many other antiques from the Fukuoka area, and slowly built a collection of decorations to fill their future restaurant. They continued stockpiling eclectic antiques wares for another 4 years, then finally sent the future restaurant decores by ship to their final destination in Oregon.

After moving home to Portland in 1985, they found a quirky but ideal location for their restaurant ... They remodeled the interior after a Japanese Folk Style farm house, and the antique knick knacks, chests, pots and jugs found their home. Seiji cut and hand-painted the Japanese folk art by hand to decorate the exterior. And with the finishing touches, The Takahashi Japanese Restaurant opened its doors on Dec. 14 1985.

The Takahashi has continued to be owned and operated by the Takahashi Family, and is one of the longest running traditional Japanese restaurants in Portland.

The ideal sushi bar with someone with ADD. After 100 visits, I was still saying; "Look at that!"

gad said:
any place that serves fish and ships the english way would make my day. That said, i haven't had one since i left england :(

lol.

Gad said:
Any place that serves fish and ships

You eat boats?

Danger said:
You eat boats?

YEAH!

*silently cries and hits head on the wall*

Related to Discovering the Perfect Eating Spot in the UK

1. How do I find the perfect eating spot in the UK?

The best way to find the perfect eating spot in the UK is by doing some research. Look up reviews and recommendations online, ask friends and family for their favorite spots, and consider the type of food and atmosphere you're looking for.

2. What are some popular food options in the UK?

The UK has a diverse food scene, but some popular options include fish and chips, Sunday roast, Indian curries, and traditional afternoon tea.

3. Are there any budget-friendly options for eating in the UK?

Yes, there are plenty of budget-friendly options for eating in the UK. You can find affordable street food, local markets, and many restaurants offer lunch specials or pre-theatre menus at a lower cost.

4. Is it important to make reservations for popular restaurants in the UK?

If you're planning on dining at a popular restaurant, it's recommended to make reservations in advance. This will ensure you have a table and avoid waiting in long lines.

5. Are there any food etiquette rules to keep in mind when dining in the UK?

When dining in the UK, it's generally considered polite to wait for everyone to be served before starting to eat, and to keep your hands on the table while eating. It's also customary to tip around 10-15% for good service.