Discovering the Force on a Mass Attached to a Wire for Beginners

• Thread starter lostmoose2121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the person is new to the forum and just received their electrical engineering book. They found the examples interesting but struggled with a question about finding the force on a mass attached to a wire. They are seeking help and are recommended to use a free body diagram and Wikipedia to learn more.
lostmoose2121
Hello I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place but I just got my "electrical engineering" book in the mail and I started to flip through it. It look really interesting and all so I decided to read some of the examples it had I figured most of them out but got to this question and I just don't get it! I may be a complete idiot when you see the question but I just need some explanations.

the question is: Find the force acting vertically downwards on a mass of 200 g attached to a wire.

so how do you figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
lostmoose2121 said:
Hello I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place but I just got my "electrical engineering" book in the mail and I started to flip through it. It look really interesting and all so I decided to read some of the examples it had I figured most of them out but got to this question and I just don't get it! I may be a complete idiot when you see the question but I just need some explanations.

the question is: Find the force acting vertically downwards on a mass of 200 g attached to a wire.

so how do you figure this out?

Welcome to the PF. Doesn't sound like a question from an EE book, but whatever. The traditional way to handle this question is by using a free body diagram. Does your book explain that? If not, you can use www.wikipedia.org to learn more about FBDs. Once you do that, come back to this thread and post your work, and we can check it out.

Hello and welcome to the world of science and engineering! It's great that you are interested in learning more about electrical engineering and have already started exploring your book. To answer your question, let's break down the problem into smaller parts.

First, we need to understand the concept of force. Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F. In this case, we are looking for the force acting on a mass attached to a wire, so we can represent it as F = ma, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration.

Next, we need to determine the mass of the object, which is given as 200 g. However, we need to convert this to kilograms (kg) because the unit of force, Newtons, is based on the SI unit system. To convert g to kg, we divide by 1000, so the mass of the object is 0.2 kg.

Now, we need to find the acceleration. The question does not specify if the object is moving or at rest, so we can assume that it is at rest, meaning the acceleration is 0 m/s^2. Therefore, the force acting on the mass attached to the wire is F = (0.2 kg)(0 m/s^2) = 0 N. This means that there is no force acting on the object vertically downwards.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of force and how to solve this type of problem. Keep exploring and learning, and don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what science is all about! Good luck on your journey as a scientist.

Related to Discovering the Force on a Mass Attached to a Wire for Beginners

1. What should I do if I can't figure out a problem?

If you are struggling to figure out a problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you identify where you are getting stuck and find a solution. It can also be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving is a skill that can be improved with practice. One way to improve is to start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also try learning different problem-solving techniques and strategies, such as brainstorming or trial and error.

3. Is it okay to ask for help when I can't figure something out?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for help when you are stuck on a problem. In fact, seeking help from others can often lead to new insights and solutions that you may not have thought of on your own. Just be sure to give credit where credit is due when using someone else's ideas or solutions.

4. How can I stay motivated when I can't figure something out?

Staying motivated can be challenging when you are struggling with a problem. One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of the end goal and why it is important to you. It can also be helpful to take breaks, celebrate small victories, and seek support from friends and colleagues.

5. What can I do if I feel overwhelmed when trying to figure something out?

Feeling overwhelmed is a common feeling when faced with a difficult problem. The first step is to take a deep breath and try to calm your mind. Then, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and focusing on one part at a time. It can also be helpful to seek support from others or take a short break to clear your mind.