Discovering Liouville Integrability in Classical Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian formalism for a classical particle with unit mass moving in a plane under the influence of a radial potential. The Hamiltonian is written using polar coordinates and the angular momentum modulus is considered as a first integral which commutes with the Hamiltonian, making the system Liouville integrable. The question is asked about computing the Poisson bracket and the importance of substituting generalized velocities with canonical momenta in the Hamiltonian. An alternative formalism, known as Routh, is also mentioned. It is explained how the Lagrangian, canonical momenta, and Hamiltonian are derived in this system and how they lead to two first integrals of motion, making the system integrable.
baxter
Hi

Let a classical particle with unit mass subjected to a radial potential V and moving in a plane.

The Hamiltonian is written using polar coordinates [itex](r,\phi)[/itex]

[itex]H(r,\phi) = \frac{1}{2}(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\phi}^2) - V(r)[/itex]

I consider the angular momentum modulus [itex]C=r^2\dot{\phi}[/itex],
and I want to show that the system is Liouville integrable (the problem is planar so I have to find a first integral (that is ,C) which commute to the Hamiltonian).

My question is : when I want to compute the Poisson bracket [itex]{H,C}[/itex], the only variable is r and [itex]\phi[/itex] ? Because the conjuguate variables [itex]\dot{r}[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\phi}[/itex] appeared in H...
So I should write [itex]H(r,\phi,\dot{r},\dot{\phi})[/itex] and compute the partial derivative with respect to these four variables ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
somes explanations ?

up up up

In Hamiltonian dynamics you must substitute the generalized velocities with the canonical momenta. Otherwise the formalism doesn't work properly. There's an alternative formalism, where you only perform the Legendre transformation from the Lagrange to the Hamilton formalisms for some generalized coordinates, which goes under the name of Routh, but I've never seen an application of it in practice (if you are interested in that, see A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol. 1).

In your case the Lagrangian should read
[tex]L=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{r}^2+r^2 \dot{\phi}^2) - V(r).[/tex]
The canonically conjugated momenta thus are
[tex]p_r=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r}}=m \dot{r}, \quad p_{\phi}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\phi}}=m r^2 \dot{\phi}.[/tex]
The Hamiltonian now is
[tex]H(q,p)=\dot{q} \cdot p-L=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{r}^2+r^2 \dot{\phi}^2) +V(r) = \frac{1}{2m} \left (p_r^2 +\frac{p_{\phi}^2}{r^2} \right ) + V(r).[/tex]
Now you have two first integrals:

(a) the Hamiltonian doesn't depend explicitly on time. Thus it is conserved:
[tex]H=E=\text{const}.[/tex]
(b) the variable [itex]\phi[/itex] is cyclic, i.e., the Hamiltonian doesn't depend on it. Thus the canonical momentum conjugate to this variable is conserved too:
[tex]p_{\phi}=\text{const}.[/tex]
Thus you have two integral of motion for a system with two degrees of freedom. It is thus integrable.

for your question! It is great to see that you are exploring the concept of Liouville integrability in classical mechanics. To answer your question, when computing the Poisson bracket, you are correct in including all four variables (r, \phi, \dot{r}, \dot{\phi}) in the Hamiltonian. This is because the Poisson bracket is defined as the partial derivative of one variable with respect to another, and in this case, we are interested in finding the Poisson bracket between the Hamiltonian and the angular momentum modulus. Therefore, both the radial and angular variables, as well as their conjugate momenta, should be included in the calculation.

Furthermore, the fact that the Hamiltonian contains the conjugate momenta \dot{r} and \dot{\phi} does not affect the computation of the Poisson bracket. These variables are still considered variables in the Hamiltonian, and their presence does not change the fact that r and \phi are the only variables present in the Poisson bracket calculation.

In summary, when computing the Poisson bracket between the Hamiltonian and the angular momentum modulus, all four variables (r, \phi, \dot{r}, \dot{\phi}) should be included in the Hamiltonian, and the partial derivative should be taken with respect to all four variables. I hope this helps clarify your question and good luck with your exploration of Liouville integrability!

Related to Discovering Liouville Integrability in Classical Mechanics

1. What is Liouville integrability in classical mechanics?

Liouville integrability is a property of a dynamical system in classical mechanics, where the motion of the system can be described using a set of independent integrals of motion. In other words, these integrals remain constant throughout the motion of the system, allowing for a complete description of the system's behavior.

2. How is Liouville integrability determined in a system?

Liouville integrability can be determined by examining the equations of motion for the system. If the equations can be solved in terms of a set of independent integrals of motion, then the system is considered Liouville integrable. Another way to determine integrability is by examining the symmetries of the system.

3. What are some applications of Liouville integrability?

Liouville integrability has many applications in classical mechanics, such as in celestial mechanics, molecular dynamics, and fluid dynamics. It also has implications for the stability and predictability of a system, as well as for the development of numerical methods for solving equations of motion.

4. How does Liouville integrability relate to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Liouville integrability is closely related to Hamiltonian mechanics, as both involve the study of conservative dynamical systems. In Hamiltonian mechanics, the equations of motion are described by Hamilton's equations, which can be solved using the integrals of motion in Liouville-integrable systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Liouville integrability?

While Liouville integrability is a useful property in classical mechanics, not all systems exhibit this behavior. In fact, most systems are not Liouville integrable, and it is often a challenging task to determine if a system is integrable or not. Additionally, the number of integrals of motion for a Liouville-integrable system is limited, which can limit its usefulness in complex systems.