Discover the Taylor Series for 3/(z-4i) about -5 | SOLVED

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Taylor series of a complex function and the process of manipulating the function algebraically to put it in a form suitable for a geometric series. The conversation also includes a demonstration of this process and a method for finding the radius of convergence for the series.
ColdFusion85
[SOLVED] Taylor Series Question

I have to find the Taylor series of [tex]\frac{3}{z-4i}[/tex] about -5. Therefore, we want the series in powers of z+5. Now, following the textbook it appears that we want to get this in a form that resembles a geometric series so that we can easily express the Taylor series in the form of a geometric series...

If we get it in the form [tex]\frac{1}{1+t}[/tex], then Taylor series is [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^n (t)^n[/tex]

Now, if the denominator isn't in this geometric form the book says to "do some algebraic manipulation" to get it in a form suitable for a geometric series. My problem is how the hell is one supposed to do this "algebraic manipulation"?? Of course the textbook shows about 2 steps, which does nothing to indicate how one is supposed to figure out what exactly this manipulation is. My teacher did nothing to explain how to either. I understand we are supposed to be able to think a little, but this seems ridiculous that we are to somehow easily know what we need to add/subtract/multiply to get it in the correct form. Is there a way to go about it that is systematic or logical? I can't imagine how to manipulate the above problem I need to do.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have something of the form
[tex]\frac{a}{z + b}[/tex]
try dividing everything by b. Then you get
[tex]\frac{a/b}{1 + (z/b)} = C \cdot \frac{1}{1 + t},[/tex]
for some constant C and for a new variable t... can you find (more like, read off) their values now?

Yeah that makes sense I guess. However, in the book for example, they had [tex]\frac{2i}{4+iz}[/tex] about -3i. Their process was:

[tex]\frac{2i}{4+iz}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2i}{4+i(z+3i)+3}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2i}{7+i(z+3i)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2i}{7}\frac{1}{1+\frac{i}{7}(z+3i)}[/tex]

I just don't see how one would come to that conclusion in any reasonable amount of time...

Each of those steps seems pretty clear to me...first you put it in terms of (z + 3i), and then you divide through to get the (1 + u) in the denominator...

Alright, I think I may have gotten the answer. Can someone check my method?

Find the Taylor series of [tex]\frac{3}{z-4i}[/tex] about -5.

We want the series in powers of z+5.

[tex]\frac{3}{z-4i}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3}{z+5-4i-5}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{3}{(z+5)-(4i+5)}[/tex] = [tex](\frac{-3}{4i+5})(\frac{1}{1-\frac{z+5}{4i+5}})[/tex]

Define [tex] t = \frac{z+5}{4i+5}[/tex]. If |t|< 1, then

[tex]\frac{1}{1-\frac{z+5}{4i+5}} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (\frac{z+5}{4i+5})^n[/tex]

and therefore,

[tex]\frac{3}{z-4i}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-3}{4i+5} \sum_{n=0}^\infty (\frac{z+5}{4i+5})^n[/tex]

= [tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{-3(z+5)^n}{(4i+5)^{n+1}}[/tex]

Very good! You got it.
Note that this method even gives you the radius of convergence of the series (you could in principle convert the inequality [itex]|t| < 1[/itex] to an inequality for z).

A good way to start these is to say let w= z+5 (in the example of doing a taylor series around z=-5). This works for a whole host of problems, like sine and cosine around non-zero points, etc. You find the taylor series of w around w=0, then put it back in terms of z+5.

Nice...yes, calculating the radius of convergence for the series is the second part to the problem. Is this just |z|<4i ?

Not really. First of all, |z| is a real number (|z|^2 = Re(z)^2 + Im(z)^2) You have an inequality for |t|, you should convert it to an inequality for |z + 5|.
E.g.
|z + 5|/|4i + 5| < 1
|z + 5| < 1 * |4i + 5| = sqrt(41) ( I think )

So the series converges at every point a distance smaller than |4i + 5| away from z = -5. Technically speaking, you should check the convergence for each point for which |z + 5| = |4i + 5|, and the series diverges for all points a distance greater than |4i + 5| from -5.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, that makes sense. I should have thought about it more. Thanks for your help.

Related to Discover the Taylor Series for 3/(z-4i) about -5 | SOLVED

What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial expression in the variable x or z. This series is used to approximate the value of a function at a point by using the values of its derivatives at that point.

What is the Taylor Series for 3/(z-4i) about -5?

The Taylor Series for 3/(z-4i) about -5 is:
3/(-5-4i) + (3/(z-4i))'(-5-4i)(z+5) + (3/(z-4i))''(-5-4i)^2(z+5)^2 + ...

How do you find the Taylor Series for a given function?

The Taylor Series for a given function can be found by using the formula:
f(z) = f(a) + f'(a)(z-a) + f''(a)(z-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(z-a)^3/3! + ...
Where a is the point of approximation and each derivative term is evaluated at a.

What is the purpose of finding the Taylor Series for a function?

The purpose of finding the Taylor Series for a function is to approximate the value of the function at a specific point by using the values of its derivatives at that point. This can be useful in solving complex mathematical problems or in numerical analysis.

What is the significance of -5 in the given Taylor Series for 3/(z-4i) about -5?

The number -5 represents the point of approximation, or the point at which we are trying to find the value of the function. In this case, the Taylor Series is centered around -5, meaning that the function is being approximated at the point -5.