Discover the Fascinating Effects of a Reverse Sun in a Fantasy World

In summary, Johnna is doing research for a fantasy novel she is writing. She asks for help with a science question and all the responders say that there is not much difference between the way the world would change if the sun were to rise in the west and set in the east. Some responders also say that there would be a change in the jet stream.
Johnna
Hi. I'm really not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. If not, I'm sorry. Anyway, here's the thing: I'm doing research for a fantasy novel I'm writing. I know virtually nothing about any kind of science, so I need help with the following question: if the sun were to rise in the west and set in the east, what would change in the world? Assuming that the sun has always done so, of course. Would the length of days or years change? How would it effect the moon, or would it make more sense that the moon would rise and set on opposite horizons as well? I'm sorry if I sound unintelligent, but like I said, I'm not profiecient at science at all. If anyone could help me out, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks in advance,
Johnna

Physics news on Phys.org
The only difference would be that the Earth is rotating the opposite way on its axis to what it is now. It would probably make more sense that the moon was opposite as well. It would also be possible if instead of north being designated the way it is today, if we thought of south as north then the sun would rise in the west and set in the east.

So overall there's not much difference. What difference did you expect?

I would think that you would get a change in the convective currents around the planet and thus wind patterns. I would also assume that the jet stream would be effected.

Would it mean moss would only grow on the south side of trees?

FredGarvin said:
I would think that you would get a change in the convective currents around the planet and thus wind patterns. I would also assume that the jet stream would be effected.

Would it mean moss would only grow on the south side of trees?

Either way it sounds thrilling for a fantasy novel.

Cyclone fences would have to be replaced with anticyclone fences.

IIRC, all we have to do is watch Superman where he gets the Earth to rotate backwards to save Lois Lane. We already have the answer.

FredGarvin said:
IIRC, all we have to do is watch Superman where he gets the Earth to rotate backwards to save Lois Lane. We already have the answer.
Speaking of which, why didn't he just hustle when he was chasing the two rockets?

Thanks to everyone for replying. As for what I expected to be different, I'm not sure, but I have to do all the research to be completely sure of everything, or else my book won't make sense if I leave something out. Anyway, thank you all very much for your help, and I'll be sure to watch Superman to further my research. ;)

--Johnna

Related to Discover the Fascinating Effects of a Reverse Sun in a Fantasy World

1. What is the sun?

The sun is a star located at the center of our solar system. It is a massive, glowing sphere of gas that provides light and heat to the planets in its orbit.

2. How does the sun produce energy?

The sun produces energy through a process called nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium. This process releases a huge amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

3. What is the importance of studying the sun?

Studying the sun helps us understand the dynamics of our solar system and the effects it has on Earth. It also provides insights into other stars and their behavior.

4. How do scientists study the sun?

Scientists use various instruments such as telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft to study the sun. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand its processes and behaviors.

5. What are some current research topics about the sun?

Some current research topics about the sun include studying its magnetic fields and solar flares, understanding its effects on Earth's climate, and exploring the possibility of using solar energy as a renewable source of power.