Discover Solutions for Vectors Cross Product Homework | AM x BC = AM x AC

In summary: To be sure that you fully understand:My conclusion is that point M can lie on the vectors AM and BC, if and only if AM and BC form a right angle.
Jeanclaud

Homework Statement

Find the set of points of M such that:
AM x BC=AM x AC (Vectors)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/b]
AM x (BM+MC) =AMx(AM+MC)
AMxBM+AMxMC=AMxAM +AM x MC
Then AMxBM=0
MA X MB=0

I am new to this lesson and this is my first time i solve such a question and i had no idea how to solve it but i tried my best please some help give me some hints, Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeanclaud said:
  • Homework Statement

Find the set of points of M such that:
AM x BC=AM x AC (Vectors)

The Attempt at a Solution

AM x (BM+MC) =AMx(AM+MC)
AMxBM+AMxMC=AMxAM +AM x MC
Then AMxBM=0
MA X MB=0[/B]

I am new to this lesson and this is my first time i solve such a question and i had no idea how to solve it but i tried my best please some help give me some hints, Thank you.
If AM × BM = 0 , then how is AM oriented relative to BM ?

SammyS said:
If AM × BM = 0 , then how is AM oriented relative to BM ?
Right-handed

Jeanclaud said:
Right-handed
Do you mean that they form a right angle?

Yes, they do.

Look at two fixed points, A and B, in a plane. Consider where point M can lie, if vector, AMBM . Now consider all such locations point M can occupy.

SammyS said:
Do you mean that they form a right angle?

Yes, they do.

Look at two fixed points, A and B, in a plane. Consider where point M can lie, if vector, AMBM . Now consider all such locations point M can occupy.
Thanks for the help.

Jeanclaud said:
Thanks for the help.
To be sure that you fully understand:

What is your final conclusion regarding the set of points on which point M can lie?

Related to Discover Solutions for Vectors Cross Product Homework | AM x BC = AM x AC

What is a vector cross product?

A vector cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to the two input vectors. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces and moments.

How is the vector cross product calculated?

The vector cross product is calculated using a specific formula: AM x BC = (AMx * BCy - AMy * BCx) * u, where AM and BC are the two input vectors, AMx and BCy are the x and y components of the respective vectors, and u is a unit vector in the direction of the resulting vector.

What is the significance of the vector cross product in physics?

The vector cross product is significant in physics because it allows us to calculate the direction and magnitude of forces and moments in 3D space. It is used in many applications, such as calculating torque, magnetic fields, and fluid dynamics.

Can the vector cross product be used with non-numeric vectors?

No, the vector cross product can only be used with numeric vectors. This is because it involves mathematical operations, such as multiplication and addition, which cannot be performed on non-numeric values.

Is the vector cross product commutative?

No, the vector cross product is not commutative. This means that the order in which the vectors are multiplied matters. Switching the order of the vectors will result in a different cross product.