Discover Earth: Interactive Quiz from National Geographic

In summary, This conversation is about a quiz on the National Geographic website. The participants discuss their results and some of the questions they encountered. One person mentions that they wanted to answer "squirrel" to a few questions but it wasn't an option. Another person mentions they got two questions wrong on their first try but got them right on the second try. They also point out some errors in the quiz, such as misspelling "stagnant water" and mentioning bulldozers as the top Earth-moving force instead of earthquakes. They also mention that their dog surprisingly scored a perfect 8 out of 8.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I got 8 out of 8.

I really wanted to answer "squirrel" to a couple of those questions.

lisab said:
I got 8 out of 8.

I really wanted to answer "squirrel" to a couple of those questions.
I know, I too was tempted to choose the squirrel.

Oooh, very fun quiz! I didn't know that poisonous gas killed of so many animals...

Thanks Evo!

They say I got 8 out of 8, but actually, I got two wrong on the first try and only got them right on the second try. They said stagnate water when they meant stagnant water. They say that bulldozers move more Earth than anything else, but I think a single earthquake moves more Earth than humans have in all of our history. I can't verify that.

Jimmy Snyder said:
They say I got 8 out of 8, but actually, I got two wrong on the first try and only got them right on the second try. They said stagnate water when they meant stagnant water. They say that bulldozers move more Earth than anything else, but I think a single earthquake moves more Earth than humans have in all of our history. I can't verify that.
Personally, I chose squirrels,

Jimmy Snyder said:

Bulldozers?! I didn't have any questions about bulldozers!

I had a question about what eats pine cones and I never could figure out the answer. It wasn't phytoplankton, though.

And I had a question about what foxes eat. That was't phytoplankton either! Nor was it salt or pumpkins!

And I had a question about what saves the Earth from being struck by meteors. That one was hard, too, since Mighty Mouse wasn't an option. Fortunately, squirrel was close enough.

Edit: Wow! My dog, Zoie, just scored 8 out of 8. I'm impressed!

Last edited:

Related to Discover Earth: Interactive Quiz from National Geographic

1. What is the diameter of the Earth?

The Earth has a diameter of approximately 12,742 kilometers.

2. How long does it take for the Earth to complete one rotation?

The Earth completes one rotation on its axis in approximately 24 hours.

3. What is the Earth's average distance from the Sun?

The Earth's average distance from the Sun is approximately 149.6 million kilometers.

4. How many continents are there on Earth?

There are seven continents on Earth: Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Australia, and Antarctica.

5. What is the Earth's atmosphere made of?

The Earth's atmosphere is primarily composed of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%), with smaller amounts of other gases such as carbon dioxide and water vapor.