Discord - Come Chat & Meet New Friends!

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter diegzumillo
  • Start date
In summary, there is a suggestion to create a server for the forum on Discord, as Discord is seen as a separate platform from the forum and would not cause confusion for new members. The speaker has recently discovered Discord and enjoys its real-time chat aspect, especially since other social networks have moved away from this. The forum also has an internal chat feature and there are plans for a chat event in the near future.
diegzumillo
Hey all

How about a server for the forum on discord? I know this forum had some experience with chat that didn't go so well but I don't think those problems would move to discord. Discord is its own separate thing, no new member will go there confused on where to post on the forum.

I only recently discovered Discord and I'm enjoying it a lot. I've been missing something like IRC from the world ever since it became less popular. I mean, I made most of my current friends (including my wife) on local IRC channels! Every social network seems like a step backwards from real time chat now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the suggestion. Chat was a good experience, it was just disrupted when we changed forum platforms. We have an internal chat feature here now and I am planning a chat event in the next month or two and hope for them to become more regular. Thanks again!

1. What is Discord?

Discord is a communication platform that allows users to chat with others through text, voice, and video. It is commonly used for gaming, but can also be used for various communities and interests.

2. How do I join Discord?

To join Discord, you can either download the desktop or mobile app, or access it through your web browser. Once you have created an account, you can join servers and start chatting with others.

3. Can I use Discord for free?

Yes, Discord is free to use. However, there is also a premium subscription called Discord Nitro, which offers additional features such as higher quality voice and video calls, custom emojis, and more.

4. How do I find and join servers on Discord?

You can find and join servers on Discord by using the search bar or by clicking on server invite links shared by others. You can also create your own server and invite others to join.

5. Is Discord safe to use?

Yes, Discord is generally considered safe to use. However, as with any online platform, it is important to be cautious about sharing personal information and to report any suspicious or inappropriate behavior.