Discharging a P-Channel MOSFET quickly

• Thread starter Dextrine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary: No, the two situations are related. In the MOSFET gate driver situation, you want to use the NPN transistor to avoid saturation in the output stage.
Dextrine
I am using trying to familiarize myself with P-Channel mosfets since I don't have too much experience with them. I am trying to use the FET as a switch, being driven in the typical highside FET manner using an NPN transistor.

Is there some standard way of quickly discharging the FET during turn off? I am trying to use maybe another BJT but can't seem to bias it correctly during turn off.

Pretty much just like this.

8PxZ6.png
thanks in advance for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot Tom. I sometimes struggle finding information due to not knowing the terminology, I'll be sure to remember this though. Thanks again.

You are welcome. Have Fun!
Oh, and I almost forgot:
Be careful you don't exceed the maximum Gate-to-Source voltage in the ON condition. The circuit you show puts the full supply voltage on the Gate. Unless it is a really low supply voltage, that generally leads to a very short life of the FET.

Likes Dextrine
I made it work with an extra NPN transistor. Apparently just adding the totem pole will invert the output. Thanks again though, is there some document that lists common circuits in analog and power along with their name?

About 7 780 000 hits: Just be aware that not all of the circuits actually work.
https://www.google.com/search?site=...rcuit+collection&oq=analog+circuit+collection

About 4 390 000 hits: Much more reliable results than the above search.
https://www.google.com/search?q=analog+circuit+design+design+note+collection

After you get tired of those, with the search field still showing the search string, click in the field again. You will receive more search suggestions.

(Should keep you busy for a little while, at least until your hair turns gray.)

Wow, thanks! This definitely will keep me busy for quite a while. I had been looking up "List of analog circuits" with much poorer results.

Tom.G said:
About 7 780 000 hits: Just be aware that not all of the circuits actually work.
https://www.google.com/search?site=...rcuit+collection&oq=analog+circuit+collection

About 4 390 000 hits: Much more reliable results than the above search.
https://www.google.com/search?q=analog+circuit+design+design+note+collection

After you get tired of those, with the search field still showing the search string, click in the field again. You will receive more search suggestions.

(Should keep you busy for a little while, at least until your hair turns gray.)
Quick question Tom, is there some circuit that can take a pulse that goes from, say 0 to +V and makes it go from. -V to V? to ? I'll be looking through the analog circuit indexes but thought you might know the name of such a circuit off hand.

Thanks in advance

PNP transistor
Emitter to +V
input to Base
Collector to resistor to -V

(Get the biasing right.)
(Note that it does invert the signal.)

Tom.G said:
PNP transistor
Emitter to +V
input to Base
Collector to resistor to -V

(Get the biasing right.)
(Note that it does invert the signal.)
Thanks again for the input Tom. I had another question more from a theoretical vs. applied point of view:

Is it possible to have an NPN transistor be in the linear region, never saturated, if the emitter is connected to ground, the base to a resistor (which goes to your signal or something), and the collector to another resistor that goes to some high rail?

In other words, can the following circuit, in real life, ever NOT be saturated?

rokCu.gif

Dextrine said:
...ever NOT be saturated?
Sure. Just restrict VB so the transistor is always operating in its linear range.
It's a simple enough circuit you can build it even without a breadboard. Use a potentiometer (pot) across VCC and take VB from the wiper. Measure the voltage on the Collector while you adjust the pot.

IS this NPN Transistor question completely unrelated to the MOSFET gate driver situation? Is there a case when you would want to drive the MOSFET gate using the NPN transistor in linear?

Related to Discharging a P-Channel MOSFET quickly

1. What is a P-Channel MOSFET and how does it work?

A P-Channel MOSFET is a type of transistor used for switching and amplifying electronic signals. It consists of three terminals - the source, gate, and drain. When a voltage is applied to the gate terminal, it creates an electric field that controls the flow of current between the source and drain terminals.

2. Why is it important to discharge a P-Channel MOSFET quickly?

P-Channel MOSFETs are used in circuits to regulate and control the flow of current. If they are not discharged quickly, they can remain in an active state and cause overheating or damage to the circuit. Discharging them quickly ensures a smooth operation and prevents any potential damage.

3. How can a P-Channel MOSFET be discharged quickly?

One way to discharge a P-Channel MOSFET quickly is by using a resistor connected between the gate and source terminals. This allows the stored charge to dissipate through the resistor, reducing the voltage on the gate and turning off the MOSFET.

4. What are some common applications of P-Channel MOSFETs?

P-Channel MOSFETs are commonly used in battery protection circuits, power supplies, motor control, and other electronic devices where high efficiency and fast switching are required.

5. Are there any limitations to discharging a P-Channel MOSFET quickly?

While quick discharge is necessary for the proper functioning of a P-Channel MOSFET, it is important to note that discharging it too quickly can also cause damage. This is because a sudden drop in voltage can create a reverse voltage, which can exceed the MOSFET's maximum ratings. Therefore, it is important to follow proper discharge guidelines and use appropriate components in the circuit.