Bipolar totem-pole mosfet driver

• Thread starter jrive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet
In summary, the topology shown in the figure is a bipolar emitter follower that can drive a high capacitance MOSFET. When the PWM output is high, the upper transistor is on and conducts, pulling the gate up. When the PWM output is low, the upper transistor is off, but the bottom transistor is still on, conducting momentarily until the gate capacitance of the MOSFET discharges. This topology is good because it has a low Rgate and can handle high current drives. However, when the PWM output is low, the upper transistor is off, which is not a good thing because it allows noise to enter the FET.
jrive
In a lot of the literature out there, they make reference to the totem pole topology for driving Mosfets (as in an H-bridge) as shown in the figure attached. I for the life of me cannot understand how this is a good circuit. When the output from the PWM controller is high, the upper transistor is an emitter follower, so I expect to see Vout-vbe at the gate of the FET (assume no Rg for the sake of argument) -fine. However, when the PWM output is low, the upper transistor is off, but so is the bottom transistor (except perhaps while the charge stored in the FET's gate capacitance serves to provide the vbe for the bottom pnp transistor to turn on, briefly. After the cap discharges, though, the common node at the emitter of the two bipolar transistors is floating (isn't it?)...this is not a good thing, in my opinion. I would expect the high impedance input of the fet would then be susceptible to noise.

Can someone enlighten me please on what I'm missing with this topology?

Thanks!
Jorge

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 3,467
Engineering news on Phys.org
They are BOTH emitter followers. The bottom transistor turns on just as much as the top does at the appropriate time. It is a matter of perspective.

When OUT is high the upper transistor is on, conducts and pulls gate up.
When OUT is low the lower transistor is on, conducts and pulls gate down.
Vdrv is a power supply.
This is a bipolar emitter follower. It is a high current buffer capable of driving the high capacitance of the MOSFET gate.
Buffer and gate current is limited by Rgate which also prevents ultrasonic gate oscillation.

jrive said:
In a lot of the literature out there, they make reference to the totem pole topology for driving Mosfets (as in an H-bridge) as shown in the figure attached. I for the life of me cannot understand how this is a good circuit. When the output from the PWM controller is high, the upper transistor is an emitter follower, so I expect to see Vout-vbe at the gate of the FET (assume no Rg for the sake of argument) -fine. However, when the PWM output is low, the upper transistor is off, but so is the bottom transistor (except perhaps while the charge stored in the FET's gate capacitance serves to provide the vbe for the bottom pnp transistor to turn on, briefly. After the cap discharges, though, the common node at the emitter of the two bipolar transistors is floating (isn't it?)...this is not a good thing, in my opinion. I would expect the high impedance input of the fet would then be susceptible to noise.

Can someone enlighten me please on what I'm missing with this topology?

Thanks!
Jorge

Is it that this topology assumes the drive (the pwm output) goes above and below ground?

Baluncore said:
When OUT is high the upper transistor is on, conducts and pulls gate up.
When OUT is low the lower transistor is on, conducts and pulls gate down.
Vdrv is a power supply.
This is a bipolar emitter follower. It is a high current buffer capable of driving the high capacitance of the MOSFET gate.
Buffer and gate current is limited by Rgate which also prevents ultrasonic gate oscillation.
How does a low turn on the lower bjt? where is the current flowing from? the base is 0, and the emitter is floating (the upper transistor is off, and there is no current path (except from the gate capacitance of the MOSFET and leakage currents). In the best case, the Rgate you mention (which is huge) connects the emitter of the lower transistor to ground, and the base is also ground (when the input is low), there is no vbe,

Averagesupernova said:
They are BOTH emitter followers. The bottom transistor turns on just as much as the top does at the appropriate time. It is a matter of perspective.
I respectfully disagree with this statement. When the PWM output goes low, there is no vbe drop across the lower bjt. The only current path during this time is the discharge of the gate capacitance of the FET...what happens after it discharges? Isn't the FET gate floating at this time until the PWM output goes high again?
I don't see how the bottom transistor turns on just as much as the top one does. This is only true if the PWM output goes below gnd for a "low".

jrive said:
(except from the gate capacitance of the MOSFET and leakage currents)
You have answered your own question. The MOSFET gate has capacitance to both the source and drain.
The BJTs only conduct current while the gate is being charged or discharged.
MOSFET gate threshold is probably between 2 and 4 volts, so VBE of the BJTs is not really important.

Yep, thanks @Baluncore. My concern was about the lack of voltage on the gate after that time. During the ON time of the top bjt, the gate of the FET has a steady voltage ( PWM -vbe (of the top BJT). During the ON time of the bottom BJT, the FET does not have a steady voltage driving the gate --it floats.
However, as I came to realize this morning in the shower (I do my best thinking in there, by the way, ;-)) it can only float to one VBE drop above gnd, so there is no danger of the FET inadvertently turning on during this time. The bottom BJT clamps the gate to one VBE drop above gnd so there is no problem.

Thank you @Baluncore and @Averagesupernova.

Related to Bipolar totem-pole mosfet driver

What is a bipolar totem-pole MOSFET driver?

A bipolar totem-pole MOSFET driver is an electronic circuit that is used to drive MOSFETs (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistors) in a specific configuration known as a totem-pole. This configuration allows for efficient switching and control of high-power MOSFETs.

How does a bipolar totem-pole MOSFET driver work?

The driver circuit consists of two complementary transistors (a PNP and an NPN) connected in a totem-pole configuration, along with a diode and a resistor. When a voltage is applied to the input, the driver circuit amplifies and inverts the signal, providing the necessary voltage and current to switch the MOSFET on and off.

What are the advantages of using a bipolar totem-pole MOSFET driver?

One of the main advantages is that it allows for efficient switching of high-power MOSFETs, which are commonly used in applications such as motor control, power supplies, and inverters. The totem-pole configuration also provides a fast rise and fall time, reducing switching losses and improving overall efficiency.

What are some common applications of a bipolar totem-pole MOSFET driver?

As mentioned before, these drivers are commonly used in applications that require efficient switching of high-power MOSFETs. Some specific examples include motor control in electric vehicles, power supplies in industrial equipment, and inverters in solar panels.

What are the potential drawbacks of using a bipolar totem-pole MOSFET driver?

One potential drawback is that these drivers can generate a significant amount of heat, especially when driving high-power MOSFETs. This heat can affect the efficiency and longevity of the driver and may require additional cooling measures to be implemented.