Discharging a capacitor to to charge multiple capacitors

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving capacitors and their charges in a circuit. The approach to solving the problem is explained and the solution is presented. The use of Kirchhoff's law and the conservation of energy are mentioned. The possibility of using parallel and series connections is also considered. Ultimately, a method using equivalent circuit is suggested.
Biker

Homework Statement

Assume you have C1, C2, C3 capacitors and each one of them have a specific charge. Now imagine you connect them to one circuit (Just as in the picture below). Determine the charge on each capacitor after the movement of charges stop
3C7Z48Q.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's law

The Attempt at a Solution

So when I started solving these problems, I came out with a good solution for these problems.
Now the basic solution for a charged capacitor to charge another capacitor is to consider those in parallel, But here we just cant.

So my solution has always showed the right answers, I wonder if it does apply here too.
Basically, you show that one of the capacitors (c1) has a voltage bigger than the sum of others thus a current will pass. Now I can say that Q charges will move in the whole period and with the indicated polarities above I can say that C1's charges decreases by Q and C2's charge increase by Q and C3's charges increase by Q

Now by using conservation of energy or Kirchhoff's 2nd law (voltage law) you can actually determine Q
and you can then get the charge of each capacitor after charging.

It gave sensible answer, that gave me a round trip of zero

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy is not likely to be very useful here. When capacitors redistribute charge there's always a net loss of energy. KVL on the other hand will work quite nicely.

So, did you have a question? Did you make an attempt to solve the given problem that you can show us?

gneill said:
Conservation of energy is not likely to be very useful here. When capacitors redistribute charge there's always a net loss of energy. KVL on the other hand will work quite nicely.

So, did you have a question? Did you make an attempt to solve the given problem that you can show us?
I just meant conservation of energy as in KVL
The words above explains the mathematical approach I used to solve the problem, Anyway here is it:
##\frac{Q_1-Q}{C_1} = \frac{Q_2 + Q}{C_2} + \frac{Q_3 + Q}{C_3} ##
Isolate Q:
## Q = \frac{((\frac{Q_1}{C_1} - \frac{Q_2}{C_2} - \frac{Q_3}{C_3}) C_1 ~ C_2 ~ C_3)}{C_3C_2 + C_3C_1 + C_1C_2} ##

You get charge Q where it represents the amount of charge transferred or moved.
Then you can determine the charges on each capacitor
##Q_1 = 1.941176\text{x} 10^{-5} ##
## Q_2 = 4.58826 \text{x} 10^{-6} ##
## Q_3 = 1.588235 \text{x} 10^{-6} ##

Biker said:
you show that one of the capacitors (c1) has a voltage bigger than the sum of others
You can omit that step. Just define the change in charge as positive in a particular direction. If you guessed wrong, you will get a negative result.

Likes Biker
haruspex said:
You can omit that step. Just define the change in charge as positive in a particular direction. If you guessed wrong, you will get a negative result.
So the solution is correct right? are there other solutions?

And about parallel and series, You can't just solve using that in anyway right? Just ensuring.

Biker said:
So the solution is correct right? are there other solutions?
I don't get the same results, although your initial KVL equation looks okay. One or both of us may have mucked up the arithmetic :smile: There will be only one solution.

Perhaps you can supply a bit more detail for the calculations of your solution? What value did you find for Q? How did you determine the new capacitor Q's?
And about parallel and series, You can't just solve using that in anyway right? Just ensuring.
I imagine that you could combine capacitors to reduce the circuit, but you'd have to preserve the net charge and potential difference with each reduction. I haven't tried that. In this case since you're looking for the final charge on each of the original capacitors, you wouldn't want to "lose" access any of them by reducing the circuit. There is an alternative though:

You can form an equivalent circuit to determine the amount of charge that moves (your Q). Initially each charged capacitor can be modeled as a fixed potential difference in series with an empty capacitor, the PD being the initial PD across the capacitor due to the initial charge it holds. When you do this for all the capacitors in your circuit you'll notice that since they are series-connected you can sum up the PD's around the loop to obtain the net PD that can drive current, and sum the "empty" capacitors in series to obtain a net capacitance. So, one fixed PD and one capacitor. The charge on that capacitor due to the PD will be the amount of charge that moves in your circuit (your Q).

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-7_10-20-47.png
    upload_2016-10-7_10-20-47.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 474
Likes Biker
gneill said:
I don't get the same results, although your initial KVL equation looks okay. One or both of us may have mucked up the arithmetic :smile: There will be only one solution.

Perhaps you can supply a bit more detail for the calculations of your solution? What value did you find for Q? How did you determine the new capacitor Q's?

I imagine that you could combine capacitors to reduce the circuit, but you'd have to preserve the net charge and potential difference with each reduction. I haven't tried that. In this case since you're looking for the final charge on each of the original capacitors, you wouldn't want to "lose" access any of them by reducing the circuit. There is an alternative though:

You can form an equivalent circuit to determine the amount of charge that moves (your Q). Initially each charged capacitor can be modeled as a fixed potential difference in series with an empty capacitor, the PD being the initial PD across the capacitor due to the initial charge it holds. When you do this for all the capacitors in your circuit you'll notice that since they are series-connected you can sum up the PD's around the loop to obtain the net PD that can drive current, and sum the "empty" capacitors in series to obtain a net capacitance. So, one fixed PD and one capacitor. The charge on that capacitor due to the PD will be the amount of charge that moves in your circuit (your Q).
Rip Arithmetic.

From my equation above
## Q = \frac{1}{1700000} (4-2-1) ##
## Q = 5.8823\text{x}10^{-7} ##
## Q^{'}_1 = Q_1 - Q ##
## Q^{'}_1 = 20\text{x}10^{-6} - 5.8823\text{x}10^{-7} ##
## Q^{'}_2 = Q_2 + Q ##
## Q^{'}_2 = 4\text{x}10^{-6} + 5.8823\text{x}10^{-7} ##
## Q^{'}_3 = Q_3 + Q ##
## Q^{'}_3 = 1\text{x}10^{-6} + 5.8823\text{x}10^{-7} ##

And the results are the same, Probably I might have made a mistake not sure I checked them again.And for the simplification, Awesome idea! We can prove that to be the case through the equation we got above. Didn't notice that :D

About Parallel and series, Not sure if I can do anything about it. All capacitors have different charges and I can't take them as Parallel because they don't have the same voltage

Last edited:
Hmm. According to your circuit and the equations you wrote, shouldn't Q1 lose charge Q, not gain charge Q? And both Q2 and Q3 should increase by Q.

Biker said:
About Parallel and series, Not sure if I can do anything about it. All capacitors have different charges and I can't take them as Parallel because they don't have the same voltage

Well in this case they're all in series anyways, unless you combine two of them in series first. You could reduce C2 and C3 to a single capacitor. Just conserve the net PD of the two on your "new" capacitor by giving it a suitable charge.

gneill said:
Hmm. According to your circuit and the equations you wrote, shouldn't Q1 lose charge Q, not gain charge Q? And both Q2 and Q3 should increase by Q.
Well in this case they're all in series anyways, unless you combine two of them in series first. You could reduce C2 and C3 to a single capacitor. Just conserve the net PD of the two on your "new" capacitor by giving it a suitable charge.
Sorry yea fixed it, Just messed the number of each Charge. But still the arithmetic is the same

Biker said:
Sorry yea fixed it, Just messed the number of each Charge. But still the arithmetic is the same
I get the same numbers as you do. I used the same principle but not your equation.

Likes Biker

Related to Discharging a capacitor to to charge multiple capacitors

1. How do I discharge a capacitor before charging multiple capacitors?

To discharge a capacitor, you can use a resistor or a short circuit. Connecting a resistor between the two terminals of the capacitor will allow the capacitor to slowly discharge. Alternatively, you can use a wire to create a short circuit between the two terminals, allowing the capacitor to discharge quickly.

2. Why is it important to discharge a capacitor before charging multiple capacitors?

Discharging a capacitor before charging multiple capacitors is important because it removes any remaining charge from the capacitor. If a capacitor is not fully discharged, it can interfere with the charging process and potentially damage the other capacitors.

3. What is the purpose of charging multiple capacitors?

Charging multiple capacitors allows for the storage of larger amounts of electrical energy. By connecting capacitors in series or parallel, the total capacitance and energy storage capacity can be increased. This is useful in many electronic circuits and devices.

4. How do I connect multiple capacitors when charging them?

When charging multiple capacitors, you can connect them in series or parallel. To connect them in series, the positive terminal of one capacitor is connected to the negative terminal of another. To connect them in parallel, the positive terminals are connected together and the negative terminals are connected together.

5. Is there a limit to the number of capacitors that can be charged at once?

There is no specific limit to the number of capacitors that can be charged at once. However, it is important to consider the total capacitance and energy storage capacity of the capacitors to ensure that the charging source can handle the load. It is also important to properly discharge and charge the capacitors to avoid damaging them.