Discern initial V w/o components?

In summary, the ball traveled 188 meters before landing, and the time taken was t = (188/V[SUB]icos45°) + 188/V[SUB]i. V[SUB]i is the initial velocity in meters per second and is equal to 9.8 meters per second.
afronicus
Discern initial V w/o components!?

Homework Statement

Ok, ball traveled 188m (618 ft) before landing on the ground. Assume ground is flat, and ball Vi is from 45o, disregard air resistance, and Starting position is .9m above ground.
Find Vi

I KNOW )))) a= 9.8 m/s2
Xi= 0
Xf=183
Yi= 0.9m
ANGLE= 450
Vy (@ highest point) = 0

Homework Equations

Ok so the equations I'm using are:
A---Vf= Vi + (a)(t)

B---Xf= Xi+ Vi+ (1/2)(a)(t)2

C---(Vf)2=(Vi)2+2a(Xf-Xi)

D---Xf-Xi=((Vi+Vf)/2)(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've been racking my brain over this for the past hour, and I keep failing to discover the answer. My equations are left with 2 variables. What am I missing?? :/

Physics news on Phys.org

afronicus said:

Homework Statement

Ok, ball traveled 188m (618 ft) before landing on the ground. Assume ground is flat, and ball Vi is from 45o, disregard air resistance, and Starting position is .9m above ground.
Find Vi

I think you've overloaded your brain with information and equations, so let's take it slowly.

Split the initial velocity Vi acting at 45°, into x and y components.

The first line says
afronicus said:
ball traveled 188m (618 ft) before landing on the ground.

So this means it traveled horizontally 188 m. So what does this tell you about the time taken for the motion? (Hint: horizontal velocity remains constant throughout, so distance = speed*time)

Write the time,t, in terms of Vi.

When you get this, then we will consider vertical motion.

Vx=x/t so that will help you.

hi, thanks a bunch for your reply. Ok, so my Vi in components is Vix=Vi cos(45)
&
Viy=Visin(45)
Ok, and time can be written as:

t =( Vfx/y / a) + Vix/y.

(Vx)(t)=188 m

apparently there is numerical value you're supposed to get...I opted to have Mastering Physics show me the answer, said it was 41.3. I just can't figure out how.

A man, my formula B is off, initial veloss should be multiplied by time. Thought I had figured out out... Not so much.

afronicus said:
(Vx)(t)=188 m

apparently there is numerical value you're supposed to get...I opted to have Mastering Physics show me the answer, said it was 41.3. I just can't figure out how.

afronicus said:
A man, my formula B is off, initial veloss should be multiplied by time. Thought I had figured out out... Not so much.

So your time would be

[tex]t = \frac{188}{V_i cos 45}[/tex]

I can't really read how you manipulated formula B, but considering y-direction, the initial displacement y0 you were given. And you know that y = 0 when t = 188/(Vicos45°).

Just plug it in and solve for Vi.

Related to Discern initial V w/o components?

What is the purpose of discerning initial velocity without components?

The purpose of discerning initial velocity without components is to determine the initial speed and direction of an object's motion. This information is important in understanding the overall motion and predicting future movement.

What are the steps involved in discerning initial velocity without components?

The steps involved in discerning initial velocity without components include measuring the distance traveled by the object, measuring the time it takes for the object to travel that distance, and using these measurements to calculate the initial velocity.

Why is it important to discern initial velocity without components?

It is important to discern initial velocity without components because it allows for a more accurate understanding of an object's motion. It takes into account both the speed and direction of the object, which are crucial factors in predicting future movement.

What are some methods for discerning initial velocity without components?

Some methods for discerning initial velocity without components include using a stopwatch to measure time, using a ruler or measuring tape to measure distance, and utilizing mathematical equations such as v=d/t to calculate the initial velocity.

Are there any limitations to discerning initial velocity without components?

Yes, there are limitations to discerning initial velocity without components. These include measurement errors, the assumption of constant velocity, and not accounting for factors such as air resistance or friction, which can affect the object's motion.