Glider moving along an inclined track?

In summary: The correct answer for the initial velocity is -10.1 cm/s.In summary, a glider moves along an inclined track with constant acceleration and an initial velocity. After 8.2 s, it is 103.3 cm from the low end and has a velocity of -15.1 cm/s. Using equations xf = xi + 0.5 (vi + vf) t and xf = xi + vi t + 0.5 a t^2, with a = (vf - vi)/t, the initial velocity is found to be -10.1 cm/s.
sammyg18

Homework Statement

In a classroom demonstration, a glider moves along an inclined track with constant acceleration. It is projected from the low end of the track with an initial velocity. After 8.2 s have elapsed, it is 103.3 cm from the low end and is moving along the track at a velocity of -15.1 cm/s. Find the initial velocity (cm/s) and the acceleration (cm/s^2).

Homework Equations

xf = xi + 0.5 (vi + vf) t
xf = xi + vi t + 0.5 a t^2
a = (vf - vi)/t

I honestly might be using equations that are totally wrong. I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried xf = xi + 0.5 (vi + vf) t and I came up with 10.1 cm/s for vi but that's wrong. Then I tried xf = xi + vi t + 0.5 a t^2 and I plugged a = (vf - vi)/t Into the equation for a but I couldn't solve it through for vi. I'm definitely missing something or doing something wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Using [itex]v= v_0+ at[/itex] and [itex]x= v_0x+ (a/2)t[/itex]. With t= 8.2, x= 103.3 and v= 151, those become [itex]151= v_0+ 8.2t[/itex] and [itex](8.2^2/2)a+ 8.2v_0[/itex]. Solve those two equations for a and [itex]v_0[/itex].

Duplicate thread..
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/glider-moves-alone-an-inclined-track.811791/#post-5095751

First I tried xf = xi + 0.5 (vi + vf) t and I came up with 10.1 cm/s for vi but that's wrong.

Show your working for that.

I believe you made a sign error.

Related to Glider moving along an inclined track?

What is a glider moving along an inclined track?

A glider moving along an inclined track is an object that is sliding or rolling along an angled surface, such as a ramp or sloped track. It is typically a small and lightweight object, designed to move with minimal friction.

What is the purpose of studying a glider moving along an inclined track?

Studying a glider moving along an inclined track allows scientists to understand and apply principles of motion, such as acceleration, force, and energy. It also helps in understanding the concept of friction and how it affects the movement of objects.

What factors affect the motion of a glider on an inclined track?

The motion of a glider on an inclined track is affected by several factors, including the angle of the track, the mass of the glider, the force applied to the glider, and the amount of friction between the glider and the track. Other factors, such as air resistance and surface texture, can also impact its motion.

How can the speed of a glider on an inclined track be calculated?

The speed of a glider on an inclined track can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the inclined track. This equation assumes no friction and neglects air resistance.

What are some real-life applications of studying a glider moving along an inclined track?

The study of a glider moving along an inclined track has many real-life applications, such as in the design of roller coasters and other amusement park rides, calculating the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the motion of vehicles on sloped roads. It also has practical applications in industries such as transportation, engineering, and sports.