Disappointing situation + senior project ideas

In summary, the speaker has completed all their physics classes except for Quantum Mechanics and a senior project. They want to graduate in the spring and start grad school in the fall, but their college is not offering QM until the following fall. Other options, such as an independent study or taking the class at another college, are not available. The speaker is disappointed and feeling undecided, but plans to take Non-Linear Systems and Symbolic Logic in the spring and QM in the fall, along with finishing a philosophy minor. They are also looking for ideas for a senior project that would be both interesting and feasible to complete in one semester.
PhilosophyofPhysics
I'm finished with all my physics classes but QM and a senior project. I'd like to finish in the spring and possibly start grad school next fall, but I can't because my college is not offering QM again until next fall. The last time it was offered was fall 06. You can't do an indepedent study for QM, and the students already tried to get the class offered next semester, but it was denied. The next nearest college is all filled up. It's really disappointing because I already missed a few semesters and wasted some time being undecided. It's taking me forever to graduate!

I suppose my plan is to take Non-Linear Systems even though I don't need it and then maybe Symbolic Logic + another philosophy class in the Spring.

In the fall I'll finally take QM, and also finish up a philosophy minor.

But my next biggest college related problem is figuring out what to do for a senior project. Do you guys have any ideas for senior projects?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what to do that would be interesting enough to keep my attention and also be something that could be finished in a semester.

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing situation with not being able to take QM and facing challenges with your senior project. It can be frustrating when external factors prevent us from achieving our academic goals in a timely manner. However, I commend you for finding alternative courses to take and utilizing your time effectively.

As for your senior project, have you considered reaching out to your professors or advisors for guidance and potential project ideas? They may have suggestions based on your interests and coursework. Additionally, you could also look into current research topics in physics and see if any align with your interests. Collaborating with a professor or research group could also be a great opportunity for a senior project.

Another idea could be to explore the intersection between physics and philosophy. This could involve researching and discussing ethical implications of advancements in physics or examining the philosophical underpinnings of quantum mechanics. This could also align with your plan to take Symbolic Logic and another philosophy class.

Ultimately, the most important aspect of a senior project is to choose a topic that you are passionate about and can demonstrate your knowledge and skills in. I wish you the best of luck in finding an exciting and fulfilling project.

Related to Disappointing situation + senior project ideas

1. What should I do if my senior project idea turns out to be a disappointment?

If your senior project idea does not live up to your expectations, it is important to first identify the root cause of the disappointment. Is it the idea itself, lack of resources or support, or unforeseen challenges? Once you have identified the issue, you can consider modifying your idea or seeking guidance from your mentor or peers for alternative solutions.

2. How can I prevent a disappointing situation from happening with my senior project?

To prevent a disappointing situation with your senior project, it is important to thoroughly research and plan your project idea before starting. This includes considering potential challenges, available resources, and seeking feedback from others. It is also helpful to have a backup plan in case things do not go as expected.

3. Can I change my senior project idea if I am already committed to one?

In most cases, it is possible to change your senior project idea if you are not satisfied with the current one. However, it is important to discuss this with your advisor or mentor to ensure that the change is feasible and aligned with the project requirements and timeline.

4. How can I turn a disappointing situation into a learning opportunity for my senior project?

A disappointing situation can be turned into a valuable learning opportunity for your senior project by reflecting on the challenges and mistakes that led to the disappointment. This can help you identify areas for improvement and develop problem-solving skills that are essential for any scientific project.

5. How can I stay motivated and focused on my senior project despite a disappointing situation?

It can be difficult to stay motivated and focused on your senior project when faced with a disappointing situation. One way to overcome this is by setting small achievable goals and celebrating each accomplishment. Additionally, seeking support from your peers and mentor can also help you stay motivated and on track towards completing your project successfully.