Directional Derivatives and the Gradient Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate of ascent while climbing a hill with a given equation and coordinates. It also mentions difficulty in finding the angle the path makes with the horizontal. The solution involves using the gradient of the equation and the unit vector, and the angle can be found using the inverse tangent function.
ktobrien

Homework Statement

Suppose you are climbing a hill whose shape is given by the equation below, where x, y, and z are measured in meters, and you are standing at a point with coordinates (120, 80, 1064). The positive x-axis points east and the positive y-axis points north.
z = 1200 - 0.005x2 - 0.01y2

a) If you walk due south, will you start to ascend or descend? At what rate?
b) If you walk northwest, will you start to ascend or descend? At what rate?
c) In which direction is the slope largest? What is the rate of ascent in that direction?
At what angle above the horizontal does the path in that direction begin?

Homework Equations

Duf(x,y) = gradient f(x.y) * unit vector

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already done a and b and most of c. I am having trouble with the last part of c. I am not sure how to go about finding the angle it makes with the horizontal. I know that it goes in the (-1.2,-1.6) direction and that the rate of ascent is 2. Could someone please tell me how to find the angle? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arctan(2)

Yea that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that. I just discovered my calculator has been in radians. Thanks.

Related to Directional Derivatives and the Gradient Vector

1. What is the definition of a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function in the given direction.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

A directional derivative is calculated using the gradient vector of the function and the direction vector. It is the dot product of the gradient vector and the unit vector in the given direction.

3. What is the relationship between directional derivatives and the gradient vector?

The gradient vector represents the direction of steepest ascent of a function, and the directional derivative in that direction is the maximum rate of change of the function. In other words, the gradient vector points in the direction of the fastest increase of the function.

4. Can a function have a directional derivative at a point where it is not differentiable?

Yes, a function can have a directional derivative at a point where it is not differentiable. The directional derivative only requires the function to be defined in the given direction, while differentiability requires the existence of a unique tangent plane at the point.

5. How are directional derivatives used in real-world applications?

Directional derivatives are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and computer science. They are particularly useful in optimization problems, where finding the direction of steepest ascent can help determine the best path or solution. They are also used in physics to calculate the direction and magnitude of electric and magnetic fields.