Directional Derivatives and Gradient question

In summary, the question involves finding the gradient of a given surface and determining the path of steepest descent on the surface starting at a given point. The solution involves using the gradient to calculate the direction of descent and solving a first order differential equation to find the desired path.
srkambbs

Homework Statement

Consider the surface and point given below:-
Surface: f(x,y)= 4-x2-2y2
Point: P(1,1,1)

a) Find the gradient of f.
b) Let C' be the path of steepest descent on the surface beginning at P and let C be the projection of C' on the xy-plane. Find an equation of C in the xy-plane.

Homework Equations

1) ∇f = <fx , fy>
2)
ad92a17b245e925a2bff2e4444a520af.png

3)
864157ee7a7f4f55c1a7ce58dfb5cbb1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ∇f = <fx , fy> = <-2x, -4y>
b)Descent means -∇f = <2x,4y>
Subbing in P(1,1,1)
-∇f = <2,4> ⇔ <1,2>
Unit vector for descent, u = (1/√5) <1,2>
,where <1,2> is the direction vector of the descent gradient.

I am really stuck here. I am not sure what they mean by the projection on the xy-plane. So are we moving from xyz to xy dimensions? And can I am not sure if I should use the projection formulas in this case or use derivatives to get the projection. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that sometimes in this type of problem it helps to visualize a physical model. Suppose you have a thin metal plate and your ##f(x,y) =4 - x^2-2y^2## represents the temperature at the point ##(x,y)##, so the temperature at ##(1,1)## is ##1##. You are looking for the path to follow to cool off quickest. You have calculated that the direction to go at each point is ##-\nabla f = \langle 2x,4y \rangle##. From this you can conclude that the slope of the desired curve at ##(x,y)## is ##\frac{dy}{dx} =\frac {4y}{2x}=\frac {2y}{x}##. This is a simple first order differential equation. Do you know how to solve it? If so, the solution through ##(1,1)## is what you are looking for.

Related to Directional Derivatives and Gradient question

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a particular direction. It is the rate of change of the function in the direction of the vector that points in that direction.

2. How is a directional derivative calculated?

A directional derivative can be calculated using the gradient of the function and the direction vector. It is the dot product of the gradient and the direction vector.

3. What is the relationship between directional derivatives and gradients?

The gradient of a function is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function. The directional derivative in the direction of the gradient is the maximum rate of change of the function.

4. When are directional derivatives used in real-life applications?

Directional derivatives are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze the behavior of functions in a specific direction. They are also used in optimization problems to find the direction of steepest descent or ascent.

5. Can a directional derivative have a negative value?

Yes, a directional derivative can have a negative value. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of the vector. A positive value indicates that the function is increasing in that direction.