Directional Derivative question. Calculus III/2-variable.

In summary, the problem involves finding the directional derivative of a function f(x,y,z)=sin(xy+z) at point P=(0,-1,pi) in the direction of a unit vector u making an angle 30° with the gradient of the function at P. The gradient formula is <ycos(xy+z),xcos(xy+z),cos(xy+z)> and dFP is <1,0,-1>. However, it is unclear how to calculate the coordinates for the unit vector u.
Unart

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y,z)=sin(xy+z) and P=(0,-1, pi), Calculate Duf(P) where u is a unit vector making an angle 30°
=θ with dFp?

Homework Equations

This is a two variable problem, where partials are necessary in order to find the gradient formula to get <dFP>. To take the Directional Derivative, from what I know, you require the following equation... <dFP>dot<U>/||u||.

The Attempt at a Solution

from the following I calculated the gradient equation to be
<ycos(xy+z),xcos(xy+z),cos(xy+z)>

with the given gradient equation, I get dFP as <1,0,-1>.

What I cannot figure out is how to get the coordinates for the U vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do I assume it to be <cos30,sin30> or is there a different way to calculate it? I apologise for the late post, I only just realised this was due. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Related to Directional Derivative question. Calculus III/2-variable.

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate at which a function changes in a particular direction. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and a unit vector in the desired direction.

2. How is the directional derivative used in Calculus III?

The directional derivative is used in Calculus III to find the rate of change of a multivariable function in a specific direction. It is important in optimization problems and understanding the behavior of a function in different directions.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a directional derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while a directional derivative measures the rate of change of a function in a specific direction.

4. Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative if the function is decreasing in the specified direction. It can also be positive or zero depending on the direction and behavior of the function.

5. How do you find the directional derivative of a function?

To find the directional derivative of a function, you need to take the dot product of the gradient of the function and a unit vector in the desired direction. This can be represented by the formula Duf(x,y) = ∇f(x,y) ⋅ u, where ∇f(x,y) is the gradient and u is the unit vector in the desired direction.