Direct Sum of Rings: Explained

In summary, the conversation discussed the direct sum of rings and the properties it holds. The direct sum is composed of specific elements from the original rings that satisfy distribution properties. It is also noted that as a set, the direct sum is the direct product of sets, with each element being an n-tuple with the i-th entry from R_i. The conversation also touched on the applications and usefulness of the direct sum.
BustedBreaks
This may be a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.
For [tex]R_{1}, R_{2}, ..., R_{n}[/tex]
[tex]R_{1} \oplus R_{2} \oplus, ..., R_{n}=(a_{1},a_{2},...,a_{n})|a_{i} \in R_{i}[/tex]

does this mean that a ring which is a direct sum of other rings is composed of specific elements of the original rings that satisfy distribution properties? That is, the first element of the new ring, a1, is from R1 etc for a2 to a_n. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, yes, you just wrote a_i \in R_i. As a set (forgetting the algebraic structure), the direct sum is just the direct product of sets, so the elements are ordered n-tuples with the i-th entry a_i from R_i, for all i=1,..,n.

I have other question. What are the applications of the direct sum? Why is this a usefull constraction?

Related to Direct Sum of Rings: Explained

1. What is the definition of a direct sum of rings?

A direct sum of rings is a mathematical concept that involves combining two or more rings to create a new ring. This new ring is formed by taking the Cartesian product of the underlying sets of the original rings and defining addition and multiplication operations on them.

2. How is a direct sum of rings different from a direct product of rings?

A direct sum of rings is different from a direct product of rings in that the elements in the direct sum are finite sequences of elements from the individual rings, while the elements in the direct product are infinite sequences. Additionally, the operations of addition and multiplication are defined differently in the two constructions.

3. What are the properties of a direct sum of rings?

Some key properties of a direct sum of rings include the commutativity and associativity of addition, the distributivity of multiplication over addition, and the existence of a multiplicative identity element. Additionally, the direct sum of rings is an abelian group under addition and a ring under multiplication.

4. How is a direct sum of rings used in algebraic structures?

The concept of a direct sum of rings is used in various algebraic structures, such as modules, vector spaces, and algebras. It allows for the combination of two or more structures to create a new structure with unique properties. For example, the direct sum of two vector spaces results in a larger vector space with a basis that is the union of the bases of the two original vector spaces.

5. Can a direct sum of rings be infinite?

Yes, a direct sum of rings can be infinite if the underlying sets of the individual rings are infinite. However, the resulting ring will still have finite sequences as its elements, as opposed to infinite sequences in a direct product. Additionally, the operations on these infinite direct sums are defined similarly to the finite case.