Direct Product vs Tensor Product

In summary, a (2 0) tensor in n dimensions cannot be written as a direct product of two vectors, but can be expressed as a sum of many direct products. This is because a tensor product of two vectors has fewer degrees of freedom than a (2,0) tensor, making it impossible to represent all (2,0) tensors as a tensor product. Therefore, a linear combination of direct products is needed to create a general (2,0) tensor. Carroll's notes on general relativity are a helpful resource for understanding this concept.
dman12
Hi,

I am working through a textbook on general relativity and have come across the statement:

"A general (2 0) tensor K, in n dimensions, cannot be written as a direct product of two vectors, A and B, but can be expressed as a sum of many direct products."

Can someone explain to me how this is the case? Am I right in thinking that a (2 0) tensor is the tensor product of two vectors, so how then is the direct product of two vectors different to the tensor product?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dman12 said:
Am I right in thinking that a (2 0) tensor is the tensor product of two vectors...?

I say that is not correct,

Take a look at quantum mechanic of Cohen Tanoudji page 155.

A direct product of two vectors would mean ##A^i B^j##. A tensor product of two vectors would mean the same thing to me (unless you want to consider the inner product ##A^i B_i## as a kind of tensor product as well).

dman12 said:
Am I right in thinking that a (2 0) tensor is the tensor product of two vectors

No, this is not true. In four dimensions, a (2,0) tensor has 16 degrees of freedom, while the tensor product of two vectors has only 8. Therefore it is not possible that all (2,0) tensors can be represented as the tensor product of two vectors.

bcrowell said:
No, this is not true. In four dimensions, a (2,0) tensor has 16 degrees of freedom, while the tensor product of two vectors has only 8. Therefore it is not possible that all (2,0) tensors can be represented as the tensor product of two vectors.
And therefore you need a linear combination of such direct products to build up a general (2,0) tensor. I find Carroll's notes (http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grnotes-one.pdf ) quite helpful for the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Direct Product vs Tensor Product

What is the difference between a direct product and a tensor product?

The direct product and tensor product are two different operations that can be performed on mathematical objects, such as matrices or vectors. The main difference between them is that the direct product combines two objects to create a new, larger object, while the tensor product combines two objects to create a new mathematical structure.

When would you use a direct product instead of a tensor product?

The decision to use a direct product or a tensor product depends on the specific problem or application. In general, the direct product is useful for combining objects that have different dimensions or structures, while the tensor product is used for combining objects that have the same structure.

How do you calculate the direct product and tensor product?

To calculate the direct product of two objects, you simply multiply each element of the first object with each element of the second object. For example, the direct product of two vectors a and b would be the vector c where ci = aibi. The tensor product, on the other hand, involves creating a new mathematical structure based on the combination of the two objects. The specific calculations depend on the objects being used.

What are some real-world applications of the direct product and tensor product?

The direct product and tensor product have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. In mathematics, they are used in linear algebra, group theory, and functional analysis. In physics, the tensor product is used to describe fields and forces, while the direct product is used to combine different mathematical models. In engineering, both operations are used in signal processing, image processing, and control systems.

Can the direct product and tensor product be used on any type of mathematical objects?

Yes, the direct product and tensor product can be applied to a wide range of mathematical objects, including vectors, matrices, functions, and even abstract mathematical structures. However, the specific calculations and results may vary depending on the objects being used.