Index Gymnastics: Tensor Product of 4-Vectors & Tensors

• I
  • Thread starter Milsomonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index
In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to take the tensor product of a general 4-vector and a tensor in Minkowski space. It is noted that the names of indices do not have any intrinsic meaning and that the product of a vector and a rank two tensor results in a rank three tensor. To get a single index result, one must contract the vector with the tensor by lowering an index using the metric and then summing over the intended indices. It is also mentioned that the symbol "g" may be a poor choice for the metric tensor as it can be confused with a vector.
Milsomonk
TL;DR Summary
Basic Index gymnastics
Hi all, I'm pretty rusty on my index gymnastics, I'm wondering if someone can explain to me the correct way to take the tensor product of a general 4-vector ## g^{\mu} ## and a tensor ## P^{/mu\ /nu} ## in Minkowski space. The part that is troubling me is the fact that both have a ## \mu ## as a contravariant index. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The tensor product would be a rank 3 tensor ##g^\sigma P^{\mu\nu}##. The names of the indices does not have any intrinsic meaning. If you want the tensor product, you simply should not call indices in the different tensors the same.

Likes Milsomonk and vanhees71
As Orodruin says, the product of a vector and a rank two tensor is a rank three tensor, ##T^{\mu\nu\sigma}=g^\mu P^{\nu\sigma}##.

If you are expecting a single index in the output, you need to contract the vector with the tensor. First you need to lower an index, either the one on your vector or the one on the tensor you want to contract over, using the metric ##\eta_{\mu\nu}##. Then you can sum over the indices you intend to contract. So ##g_\mu=\eta_{\mu\nu}g^\nu##, then your final result (assuming you want to contract with the first index on ##P##) is ##v^\nu=g_\mu P^{\mu\nu}##.

Note that the metric in flat spacetime is denoted ##\eta_{\mu\nu}## by convention, but in curved spacetime ##g_{\mu\nu}## is usually used. You can't confuse the rank two metric tensor with a vector, but nonetheless ##g## is probably a bad choice of symbol.

Last edited:
Likes Orodruin, Milsomonk and cianfa72
Thanks for your replies! I am just trying to follow the working in an old thesis. I am expecting a single index result in the form of a force so I think their use of the term tensor product was in fact a little misleading.
Thanks again, this has been very helpful!

1. What is the purpose of the tensor product in index gymnastics?

The tensor product in index gymnastics is used to combine two or more 4-vectors or tensors to create a new tensor. This allows for the representation of more complex physical quantities in a concise and elegant way.

2. How is the tensor product calculated in index gymnastics?

The tensor product is calculated by multiplying the components of each vector or tensor and then summing over all possible index combinations. This results in a new tensor with a higher rank.

3. Can the tensor product be applied to tensors of different ranks?

Yes, the tensor product can be applied to tensors of different ranks. However, the resulting tensor will have a rank equal to the sum of the ranks of the original tensors.

4. What is the significance of the tensor product in physics?

The tensor product is significant in physics because it allows for the representation of physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as force and velocity. It also plays a crucial role in the mathematical formulation of theories such as general relativity.

5. Are there any limitations to using the tensor product in index gymnastics?

One limitation of using the tensor product is that it can become computationally intensive for higher rank tensors. Additionally, the tensor product is not commutative, meaning that the order in which the tensors are multiplied can affect the resulting tensor.