Dirac Notation in building Path Integrals

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the delta function in a mathematical equation involving the Hamiltonian operator and the Fourier transform. The delta function represents the normalization of the variables and is used to simplify the equation. The conversation also touches on the higher order terms being disregarded due to their small size.
Elwin.Martin
Alright, so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out from one step to the next...
So we have defined |qt>=exp(iHt/[itex]\hbar[/itex])|q>
and we divide some interval up into pieces of duration τ

Then we consider
<[itex]q_{j+1}[/itex][itex]t_{j+1}[/itex]|[itex]q_{j}[/itex][itex]t_{j}[/itex]>
=<[itex]q_{j+1}[/itex]|e-iHτ/[itex]\hbar[/itex]|[itex]q_{j}[/itex]>
=<[itex]q_{j+1}[/itex]|1-(i/[itex]\hbar[/itex])Hτ+O(τ2)|[itex]q_{j}[/itex]>
=[itex]\delta[/itex]([itex]q_{j+1}[/itex]-[itex]q_{j}[/itex])-(iτ/[itex]\hbar[/itex])<[itex]q_{j+1}[/itex]|H|[itex]q_{j}[/itex]>

Dumb question:
Where did the delta function come from? I know where the second term comes from and I'm assuming that the higher order terms are being tossed since the τ2 and higher order terms have been deemed sufficiently small...but where does this delta function come from?

Is this something like <[itex]q_{j+1}[/itex]|1|[itex]q_{j}[/itex]> = 1 iff [itex]q_{j+1}[/itex]=[itex]q_{j}[/itex], or something having to do with independence? But...then I don't see why after this we have:

(2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex])-1[itex]\int[/itex]dp e(i/[itex]\hbar[/itex])p([itex]q_{j+1}[/itex]-[itex]q_{j}[/itex])
coming from the delta function term .-. what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last question... because that's what the Fourier transform of a delta function is:

δ(x) ≡ (1/2π) ∫eixy dy

and put x = qj+1 - qj, y = p/ħ

your 1st Q;
it is the normalization of qi, qj

Related to Dirac Notation in building Path Integrals

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent states, operators, and inner products. It was developed by the physicist Paul Dirac and is also known as bra-ket notation.

2. How is Dirac notation used in building path integrals?

Dirac notation is used to represent the states and operators in a path integral. The bra-ket notation is used to represent the initial and final states, while the operators are represented by the integration over all possible paths between the initial and final states.

3. Why is Dirac notation useful in building path integrals?

Dirac notation simplifies the mathematical expressions involved in path integrals. It allows for a more compact and intuitive representation of the states and operators, making it easier to calculate and interpret the results of a path integral.

4. What are the key elements of Dirac notation?

The key elements of Dirac notation are the bras, kets, and operators. Bras are represented by <a| and kets by |b>, where a and b are the states being represented. Operators are represented by ^A and act on the states to produce a new state.

5. How does Dirac notation relate to other mathematical notations?

Dirac notation is closely related to the matrix notation commonly used in linear algebra. The bras and kets can be seen as the row and column vectors of a matrix, and the inner product <a|b> is equivalent to the matrix multiplication of a and b. However, Dirac notation is more general and can also represent non-commutative operators, making it more suitable for use in quantum mechanics.