Projection trick to obtain time-ordered correlator

• A
  • Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projection
In summary: It turns out that for any finite ##T##, the ##\mu##-term in ##e^{\mu x}## will act as a cutoff, so that ##f(x)## is finite over the entire range of integration (since we are only integrating over finite time). However, when ##T \rightarrow \infty##, the ##\mu##-term will still kill the entire integral, so the trick works.
spaghetti3451
To compute the vacuum expectation value

##\langle \Omega | T\{q(t_{1})\cdots q(t_{n})\}|\Omega\rangle##

in the path integral formalism, we start with the time-ordered product in the path integral representation

##\langle q_{f},t_{f}|\ T\{q(t_{1})\cdots q(t_{n})\}\ |q_{i},t_{i}\rangle=\int\ \mathcal{D}\phi\ e^{iS}\ q(t_{1})\cdots q(t_{n}),##

use the fact that

##|\psi\rangle = \int\ dq_{i}\ |q_{i},t_{i}\rangle\ \langle q_{i},t_{i}|\psi\rangle##

and the projection trick

##\lim\limits_{T \to\infty}e^{-iHT(1-i\epsilon)}|\Omega\rangle = \sum\limits_{n}e^{-iE_{n}T(1-i\epsilon)}|n\rangle\langle n|\Omega\rangle##

to project out all the states with ##n \neq 0## and obtain

##\langle \Omega | T\{q(t_{1})\cdots q(t_{n})\}|\Omega\rangle = \frac{\int\mathcal{D}q(t)\ e^{iS[q]}q(t_{1})\cdots q(t_{n})}{\int \mathcal{D}q(t)\ e^{iS[q]}}.##

How can we be sure that the projection trick is a legitimate step in the calculation and not some sleight of hand? Is the projection trick performed in the limit that ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0##?

I would also like some help in deriving
##\langle \Omega | T\{q(t_{1})\cdots q(t_{n})\}|\Omega\rangle## using the above hints. Do I substitute for ##|\Omega\rangle## using the expansion of ##|\psi\rangle## I have from above?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
How can we be sure that the projection trick is a legitimate step in the calculation and not some sleight of hand? Is the projection trick performed in the limit that ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0##?
The limit ##T \rightarrow \infty## kills the exponential, though of course we need ##\epsilon \rightarrow 0^{+}##. It's true that this somewhat feels a bit like a sleight-of-hand, but the introduction of this extra imaginary term works. Similar tricks are used to ensure convergence of various other integrals, although I must admit I'm not entirely sure how to justify the tricks rigorously.
If you do want to treat the problem with mathematical rigor though (i.e. without this small imaginary time trick), then you might want to look at the Riemann-Lebesgue lemma, which states that
[tex]\lim_{\mu \rightarrow \infty} \int^{b}_{a} f(x) e^{i \mu x} dx = 0[/tex]

Likes vanhees71

Related to Projection trick to obtain time-ordered correlator

1. What is the projection trick to obtain a time-ordered correlator?

The projection trick is a mathematical technique used to calculate the time-ordered correlator in quantum field theory. It involves projecting the state of the system onto a subspace with a specific energy, and then using this projected state to calculate the correlator.

2. Why is the projection trick used in calculating time-ordered correlators?

The projection trick is used because it simplifies the calculation of time-ordered correlators. It allows us to break down the calculation into smaller, more manageable steps and reduces the complexity of the problem.

3. How does the projection trick work?

The projection trick works by projecting the state of the system onto a subspace with a specific energy. This projection reduces the number of states that need to be considered, making the calculation more manageable. The projected state is then used to calculate the correlator.

4. Are there any limitations to the projection trick?

Yes, there are limitations to the projection trick. It can only be used in systems where the Hamiltonian is time-independent, and it assumes that the energy levels of the system are well-defined. Additionally, it may not work for systems with large numbers of particles or in situations where the interactions between particles cannot be neglected.

5. Can the projection trick be applied to all quantum systems?

No, the projection trick is specific to quantum field theory and cannot be applied to all quantum systems. It is most commonly used in quantum field theories such as quantum electrodynamics and quantum chromodynamics.