Dipole problem with electric fields

In summary, the conversation discusses a dipole problem that is solved through mirror imaging. The solution involves expressing the dipole moment in terms of coordinates and using a source from a given website. There is also a discussion about the dipole's angle and how it affects the computation of torque. The conversation ends with a request for comparison of results.
bubblewrap
Dipole problem (which is solved through mirror imaging) has been troubling me with its solution. I understand everything except how the dipole moment's coordinates came to be, since when converted into x-y axis, its doesn't make sense. (problem 4.6)

The screenshot contains the solution which says that dipole moment p can be expressed into the terms shown (at the end of step 2, right before step 3
20181031_230650.jpg
Screenshot_2018-10-31-22-59-45.png
20181031_230933.jpg
)

Attachments

• 20181031_230650.jpg
    20181031_230650.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 407
  • Screenshot_2018-10-31-22-59-45.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-31-22-59-45.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 20181031_230933.jpg
    20181031_230933.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
It helps to start with a good source. Try: http://phys.columbia.edu/~nicolis/Dipole_electric_field.pdf ## \\ ## Meanwhile ## \vec{p}_{image}=-p \cos{\theta} \, \hat{z} +p \sin{\theta} \, \hat{x} ## where we will assume the dipole has ## \phi=0 ## for the angle which it points.## \\ ## Using ## \vec{r}=2 z \, \hat{z}##, ##\vec{ E} ## (at location ##(0,0, 2z) ## from ## \vec{p}_{image} ##), can be computed from ## \vec{p}_{image} ##. ## \\ ## Meanwhile, ## \vec{p}=p \cos{\theta} \, \hat{z}+ \sin{\theta} \, \hat{x} ## should make it an easy algebraic exercise to compute the torque.## \\ ## I do think your book made a mistake in computing ## \vec{p} ##. ## \\ ## I got an expression for electric field ## E ## and torque ## \vec{N}=\vec{p} \times \vec{E} ##. I'd be happy to see how your result compares to mine.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to Dipole problem with electric fields

1. What is a dipole in relation to electric fields?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric field produced by the dipole.

2. How does a dipole interact with an external electric field?

A dipole experiences a torque when placed in an external electric field. The torque will cause the dipole to align itself with the direction of the external field, with the positive charge pointing towards the negative end of the field and vice versa.

3. What is the dipole moment of a dipole?

The dipole moment of a dipole is the product of the magnitude of one of the charges and the distance between the two charges. It is represented by the symbol "p" and its SI unit is Coulomb-meter (Cm).

4. How is the electric field strength calculated for a dipole?

The electric field strength at a point in space due to a dipole is calculated using the equation E = (1/4πε0) * [(2p/r3) - (p/r2)] where p is the dipole moment, r is the distance from the center of the dipole, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

5. Can a dipole have a zero electric field?

Yes, a dipole can have a zero electric field at a point in space between the two charges, known as the mid-point. This occurs when the distance between the two charges is equal to the magnitude of the charges, resulting in the cancellation of the electric field vectors.