How an induced electric dipole vibrates with EM field

In summary: I thought we discuss Rayleigh scattering, i.e., the scattering of an electromagnetic wave on a neutral "atom". The most simple approximation, assuming a classical non-relativistic harmonic oscillator including radiation reaction in the Landau-Lifshitz approximation of the Lorentz-Abraham-Dirac equation (imho the best one can do within classical theory), you find in Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics.Yes, there is a very simple approximation to the scattering of an electromagnetic wave on a neutral molecule in which radiation reaction is taken into account in the Landau-Lifshitz approximation of the Lorentz-Abraham-Dirac equation. This approximation is called the Jackson theory, and
Salmone
If we have an electromagnetic wave like the one in the picture and a molecule which is, in the image, the small black ball with electron cloud being the part with "minus sign" in it, does the molecule with its cloud start to oscillate, once the EM wave hits it, as an induced electric dipole, along the z-axis or along the x-axis? (The two axes are as drawn in the figure).

ibQir.png

• Love
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The particle you have shown seems to be an atom. It is electrically neutral so does not respond to electric fields. If we consider a particle with an overall charge, such as an ion or electron, then it will move in the E direction in response to the electric field of the wave. Some molecules have asymmetrical charge distribution on them and these will also respond to the E-field.

Of course a neutral particle consisting of charged particles respond to electromagnetic fields. The standard approximate treatment is the dipole approximation, i.e., the electric field induces a dipole moment.

Likes Lord Jestocost, Delta2, Twigg and 1 other person
If the neutral particle is subjected to a uniform electric field, then by induction we expect one end to become positive and the other negative. But if the field is uniform, these will experience equal forces in opposite directions. So it seems to me that the object will not move.

The object won't move, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't respond to an external electric field. If it had an electric dipole moment before the electric field has been switched on, this dipole moment will be redirected in the direction of the electric field. If it hasn't an own dipole moment, there will be induced one due to the field.

Likes Lord Jestocost, Delta2 and Twigg
Salmone said:
does the molecule with its cloud start to oscillate, once the EM wave hits it, as an induced electric dipole, along the z-axis or along the x-axis?
Given that the E-field points along the positive z-axis, what will be the direction of the electric force experienced by the electrons? As an approximation (and a pretty good one at that), you can ignore the magnetic field.

Hmm guys, a related question but I am not good in chemistry, but with my physics knowledge I think most molecules (organic or anorganic) have net dipole moment (and I don't mean the induced one) because even though the molecule is electrically neutral, I would expect to be a rare coincidence that the charge density ##\rho## is perfectly symmetrically distributed as to eliminate the net dipole moment ##\int\rho (r') (r-r')d^3r'##.

Delta2 said:
Hmm guys, a related question but I am not good in chemistry, but with my physics knowledge I think most molecules (organic or anorganic) have net dipole moment
Yes, molecules can be electrically neutral and have a permanent electric dipole moment. Additionally, a neutral molecule can have an induced dipole moment (given in the limit of small applied fields by its polarizability). You can keep going all the way up the multipole expansion and find all the multipole moments of a molecule, permanent and induced. "Neutral molecule" only means "no monopole".

To reiterate what's been stated above, the idea that a neutral molecule doesn't respond to electric fields is false. I think post #2 meant to say that there is no monopole interaction since there is no net charge. An electric field can induce a force on a neutral molecule, even if that molecule has a weak permanent dipole moment at zero field, provided the electric field has a gradient. This physics is the core principle behind the Stark decelerator. (Sorry I couldn't find a better introductory summary on the topic.) It's not stated in this summary, but some of the most successful Stark decelerators couple to induced dipole moments more strongly than permanent dipoles (example here).

Likes Delta2
Very interesting to learn about the Stark Decelerator, thank you. But for a uniform E-field I think we can say the neutral particle does not move, even though it may have or acquire a dipole.

Likes Delta2
I thought we discuss Rayleigh scattering, i.e., the scattering of an electromagnetic wave on a neutral "atom". The most simple approximation, assuming a classical non-relativistic harmonic oscillator including radiation reaction in the Landau-Lifshitz approximation of the Lorentz-Abraham-Dirac equation (imho the best one can do within classical theory), you find in Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics.

• Informative
Likes Twigg and Delta2
Twigg said:
Given that the E-field points along the positive z-axis, what will be the direction of the electric force experienced by the electrons? As an approximation (and a pretty good one at that), you can ignore the magnetic field.
I guess along the z-axis so that is the axis along which the dipole will oscillate, right?

Likes Twigg

1. How does an induced electric dipole vibrate with an electromagnetic field?

When an electric dipole is placed in an electromagnetic field, it experiences a force that causes it to vibrate. This vibration occurs because the dipole is composed of two oppositely charged particles, and the electric field of the EM field exerts a force on each particle in opposite directions. This creates a torque on the dipole, causing it to rotate and vibrate.

2. What factors affect the frequency of vibration for an induced electric dipole?

The frequency of vibration for an induced electric dipole is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the two charges in the dipole, and the mass of the particles in the dipole. A stronger electric field or a smaller distance between the charges will result in a higher frequency of vibration, while a larger mass will result in a lower frequency.

3. Can the vibration of an induced electric dipole be controlled?

Yes, the vibration of an induced electric dipole can be controlled by changing the strength or direction of the electric field it is placed in. This can be achieved by using various materials to create the electric field or by manipulating the position of the dipole within the field.

4. How does the vibration of an induced electric dipole affect its surrounding environment?

The vibration of an induced electric dipole can affect its surrounding environment in several ways. It can create a disturbance in the EM field, which can then affect nearby objects or particles. It can also generate electromagnetic radiation, which can have various effects depending on the frequency and intensity of the vibration.

5. What is the significance of studying the vibration of induced electric dipoles?

Studying the vibration of induced electric dipoles is important for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter. It has applications in various fields such as optics, electronics, and materials science. It also helps in the development of new technologies and devices that utilize the principles of electromagnetism.