Dimension of subspace of trace of matrix

In summary, the dimension of the subspace of matrices in V with a trace of 0 is n^2-1, as determined using the rank-nullity theorem.
specialnlovin
Let V=Mn(k) be a vector space of matrices with entries in k. For a matrix M denote the trace of M by tr(M).
What is the dimension of the subspace of {M[tex]\in[/tex]V: tr(M)=0}
I know that I am supposed to use the rank-nullity theorem. However I'm not sure exactly how to use it. I know that the trace is a linear map itself. Since in this case it equals zero would the dim=dim(ker)?

Physics news on Phys.org
so we got that [tex]tr:M_n(k)\rightarrow k [/tex] is linear. Rank-nullity gives us that

[tex]dim(ker(tr))+dim(im(tr))=dim(M_n(k)) [/tex]

You need to find dim(ker(tr)). For this you have to figure out the other dimensions, what are they?

The set of all n by n matrices has dimension [itex]n^2[/itex]. From "tr(A)= 0", you have [itex]a_{11}+ a_{22}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_{nn}= 0[/itex] so that [itex]a_{nn}= -a_{11}- a_{22}- \cdot\cdot\cdot- a_{n-1 n-1}[/itex]. That is, you can replace one entry in the matrix by a linear combination of the others. That reduces the dimension of the subspace by 1: the dimension is [itex]n^2- 1[/itex].

Related to Dimension of subspace of trace of matrix

1. What is the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix?

The dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix is equal to the number of distinct eigenvalues of the matrix. This is because the trace of a matrix is equal to the sum of its eigenvalues.

2. Can the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix be greater than the size of the matrix?

No, the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix cannot be greater than the size of the matrix. The maximum dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix is equal to the number of rows or columns of the matrix, whichever is smaller.

3. How can I calculate the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix?

To calculate the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix, you can find the distinct eigenvalues of the matrix and count the number of unique values. This will give you the dimension of the subspace.

4. Is the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix always an integer?

Yes, the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix is always an integer. This is because the number of distinct eigenvalues of a matrix will always be a whole number.

5. How does the dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix relate to the rank of the matrix?

The dimension of a subspace of the trace of a matrix is equal to the rank of the matrix. This is because the rank of a matrix is also equal to the number of linearly independent rows or columns, which is equivalent to the number of distinct eigenvalues.