Dimension and Basis of a Relation in R5

In summary: OOOOOOOOIn summary, the dimension of a subspace of a vector space is the number of elements in a basis for the subspace.
Logan Land
Find dimension and basis of the set of all points in R5 whose coordinates satisfy the relation x1 +x2 +x3 +x4 =0.

shouldn't there be 5 vectors to satisfy the basis since they are asking about R5? but the relation only has x1, x2, x3, and x4.

or would my matrix just look like this

1 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1 0

so x1=x2=x3=x4=0?dimension = 5 since its asking R5?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LLand314 said:
Find dimension and basis of the set of all points in R5 whose coordinates satisfy the relation x1 +x2 +x3 +x4 =0.

shouldn't there be 5 vectors to satisfy the basis since they are asking about R5? but the relation only has x1, x2, x3, and x4.

or would my matrix just look like this

1 0 0 0 0
0 1 0 0 0
0 0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1 0

so x1=x2=x3=x4=0?dimension = 5 since its asking R5?

Hi LLand314,

Since $x_4 = -x_1 - x_2 - x_3$, we let $x_1$, $x_2$, $x_3$, and $x_5$ be our free variables. So your vector space, call it $W$, is four-dimensional. A basis can be found by setting a free variable equal to one and every other free variable equal to 0. Setting $x_1 = 1$ and all other free variables equal to $0$, we get $x_4 = -1$. So $(1, 0, 0, -1, 0)$ is a basis vector. Show that the procedures three other basis vectors: $(0, 1, 0, -1, 0)$, $(0, 0, 1, -1, 0)$, and $(0, 0, 0, 0, 1)$. So a basis for $W$ is

\(\displaystyle \{(1,0,0,-1,0), (0,1,0,-1,0), (0,0,1,-1,0), (0,0,0,0,1)\}\)

Last edited:
Euge said:
Hi LLand314,

Since $x_4 = -x_1 - x_2 - x_3$, we let $x_1$, $x_2$, $x_3$, and $x_5$ be our our free variables. So your vector space, call it $W$, is four-dimensional. A basis can be found by setting a free variable equal to one and every other free variable equal to 0. Setting $x_1 = 1$ and all other free variables equal to $0$, we get $x_4 = -1$. So $(1, 0, 0, -1, 0)$ is a basis vector. Show that the procedures three other basis vectors: $(0, 1, 0, -1, 0)$, $(0, 0, 1, -1, 0)$, and $(0, 0, 0, 0, 1)$. So a basis for $W$ is

\(\displaystyle \{(1,0,0,-1,0), (0,1,0,-1,0), (0,0,1,-1,0), (0,0,0,0,1)\}\)

so is my dimension 4 or 5? my book says dim(R^n)=n so that would be 5 correct? but then you stated four-dimensional

LLand314 said:
so is my dimension 4 or 5? my book says dim(R^n)=n so that would be 5 correct? but then you stated four-dimensional

You're not computing the dimension of $\Bbb R^5$, but the dimension of a subspace of $\Bbb R^5$, which need not be $5$-dimensional. Recall that the dimension of a finite-dimensional vector space $V$ is equal to the number of elements in a basis for $V$. Since $W$ has a basis consisting of four vectors (the list is already displayed), $\text{dim}\, W = 4$.

Euge said:
You're not computing the dimension of $\Bbb R^5$, but the dimension of a subspace of $\Bbb R^5$, which need not be $5$-dimensional. Recall that the dimension of a finite-dimensional vector space $V$ is equal to the number of elements in a basis for $V$. Since $W$ has a basis consisting of four vectors (the list is already displayed), $\text{dim}\, W = 4$.

I see, that makes much more sense, the R^n isn't the same as $\Bbb R^5$

Still a little confused on when you found the basis
{(1,0,0,−1,0),(0,1,0,−1,0),(0,0,1,−1,0),(0,0,0,0,1)}
how does that equal 0 when x1+x2+x3+x4

LLand314 said:
I see, that makes much more sense, the R^n isn't the same as $\Bbb R^5$

Still a little confused on when you found the basis
{(1,0,0,−1,0),(0,1,0,−1,0),(0,0,1,−1,0),(0,0,0,0,1)}
how does that equal 0 when x1+x2+x3+x4

Sorry, but the question does not make sense to me. Each basis vector lies in $W$. For example, $(1,0,0,-1,0)$ lies in $W$ since $1 + 0 + 0 - 1 = 0$.

Euge said:
Sorry, but the question does not make sense to me. Each basis vector lies in $W$. For example, $(1,0,0,-1,0)$ lies in $W$ since $1 + 0 + 0 - 1 = 0$.

OOOOOOOO I see now, I was thinking that {(1,0,0,−1,0),(0,1,0,−1,0),(0,0,1,−1,0),(0,0,0,0,1)} all together needed to equal 0
I see now what you mean. That was actually an easy question I just was thinking of it completely wrong and making it difficult. thanks!

Related to Dimension and Basis of a Relation in R5

1. What does it mean to "find dimension and basis"?

Finding the dimension and basis of a vector space is a way to describe the structure and properties of that space. The dimension tells us the number of vectors needed to span the entire space, while the basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to form any vector in that space.

2. How do you determine the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in its basis. To find the dimension, we can either count the number of vectors in the basis or use the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the dimension is equal to the rank of the matrix representing the space's linear transformation plus the dimension of the null space.

3. What is the significance of finding the basis of a vector space?

The basis of a vector space is important because it allows us to represent any vector in that space as a linear combination of the basis vectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and understand the properties of the vector space.

4. Can every vector space have a basis?

Yes, every vector space has a basis. This is because a basis is defined as a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire space. As long as the vectors are linearly independent, they can form a basis for the space.

5. How do you find the basis of a subspace of a larger vector space?

To find the basis of a subspace, we first need to determine if the vectors in the subspace are linearly independent. If they are, then they can form the basis for the subspace. If not, we can use the Gram-Schmidt process to find a set of orthogonal vectors that span the subspace, which can then be used as the basis.