How to find the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane

In summary, to find the intersection between two sets in a linear programming problem, you can create an objective function and constraints that represent the sets and use a linear programming solver in Matlab to find the optimal solution. It is recommended to read up on linear programming and its use in Matlab for solving such problems.
alsm
Good afternoon!

I am working on a problem, where I at some point have to find the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplan.

Consider the following convex set:

x2>=x1>=x4>=x3
x1+x2+x3+x4=C1

where C1 is a number. In matrixform it can be represented in the following way:

A1*x<=b1,
Aeq*x=beq

where

A1 =

1 -1 0 0
-1 0 0 1
0 0 1 -1

b1 =

Aeq= 1 1 1 1

beq = C1I also have another set:
x1+x4=C2
x1+x2+x3+x4=C1

I matrixform:
Aeq2 * x = beq2

Where

Aeq2=

1 0 0 1
1 1 1 1

beq2=

C2
C1
My problem is that I need to find the intersection between these two sets, i.e. all the points where

x2>=x1>=x4>=x3
x1+x4=C2
x1+x2+x3+x4=C1I used linear algebra a long time ago and have thus forgotten the most of it. Could you please tell me what I have to do or what I have to read to solve my problem. I will have to solve this problem in Matlab once I understand how to solve it.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration!Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
:

Hello there,

To find the intersection between two sets, you can use a method called linear programming. This involves creating an objective function and constraints that represent the two sets, and then optimizing the objective function to find the points that satisfy both sets.

In your case, your objective function could be something like x1 + x2 + x3 + x4, and your constraints would be the inequalities and equations you listed above. You can then use a linear programming solver in Matlab to find the optimal solution, which will give you the values of x1, x2, x3, and x4 that satisfy both sets.

I recommend reading up on linear programming and how to use it in Matlab to solve your problem. There are many resources available online that can help you with this, such as tutorials, videos, and forums.

Good luck with your research!

Related to How to find the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane

1. What is a polytope?

A polytope is a geometric figure in n-dimensional space that is bounded by a finite number of flat, n-1-dimensional surfaces. It is the generalization of a polygon in 2D space and a polyhedron in 3D space.

2. What is a hyperplane?

A hyperplane is a flat, n-1-dimensional surface in n-dimensional space. In 2D space, a hyperplane is a line, in 3D space it is a plane, and in higher dimensions it is a higher-dimensional plane.

3. Why do we need to find the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane?

Finding the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane is important in many mathematical and scientific applications. For example, it can be used in optimization problems, linear programming, and data analysis.

4. How do we find the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane?

To find the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane, we can use mathematical techniques such as linear algebra and geometry. This involves solving systems of equations and performing vector operations to determine the points of intersection.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane?

As mentioned before, finding the intersection between a polytope and a hyperplane can be used in optimization problems, linear programming, and data analysis. It can also be applied in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and economics.