Digital scale > laptop data transfer help?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with transferring data from a scale onto a laptop in order to plot a graph. They are looking for a way to collect the data, preferably at a high frequency, and then use a program to automatically graph it. The person asking for help does not have much knowledge about electronics and transducers, so they are looking for off-the-shelf components or programs that can assist them. Suggestions include researching data logging equipment and using programs like Excel or Access to plot the data.
tianze
I wonder how can I get the data recorded on a scale be transferred onto a laptop directly?

forexample, I need a curve in the change in weight of something in the past minute, I am looking forward to at least one measurement per second, preferably 10 per second or much higher. The recorded data should be transferred onto my laptop(windows) and i then can plot a graph on my own or maybe is there any sort of data collection program i can use which in the end auto graph the data for me.

Any help? Much thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Graphing the collected data will be the easy part. You need to collect it first and that means having a scale that outputs a signal that either can be read directly by a computer or that can be converted to something meaningful to a computer. Do you have any concept of what all that means? It's kind of hard for us to help you when you said NOTHING about your level of knowledge of electronics and transducers.

I study chemical propulsion and therefore I don't know much about electronics.

Well, then, you are asking for a longer dissertation on electronics / transducers / signal conditioning than I am willing to go into. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable here about your particular application can suggest some off-the-shelf components that would help you get there. I don't know of any but that's just ignorance on my part --- doesn't mean there aren't any around.

The OP can investigate data logging equipment to find something that suits his desires.

As for a program that plots data, he can always collect the data and then import into Excel and use their graphing utilities, or Access as well, since he has windows that should not be too complicated if he knows his way around both of those programs. Quite a few purchasable data logging programs probably use them anyways. It is also possible to purchase a stand alone data logger to connect directly to the scale, and then transfer the data to the PC.

Related to Digital scale > laptop data transfer help?

What is a digital scale?

A digital scale is a device used to measure the weight of an object or substance. Unlike traditional scales, a digital scale gives a precise numerical reading of the weight.

What is laptop data transfer?

Laptop data transfer refers to the process of moving files, documents, or other data from a laptop to another device or vice versa. This can be done using various methods such as USB cables, cloud storage, or external hard drives.

How can I transfer data from a digital scale to my laptop?

The method of transferring data from a digital scale to a laptop depends on the type of digital scale you have. Some digital scales have a USB port that allows for direct transfer of data, while others may require the use of specialized software or apps to transfer data wirelessly.

Is it possible to transfer data from a digital scale to a laptop without using cables?

Yes, it is possible to transfer data from a digital scale to a laptop without using cables. Many digital scales now come with wireless connectivity options such as Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, allowing for easy and cable-free data transfer.

How do I ensure the accuracy of data transferred from a digital scale to my laptop?

To ensure the accuracy of data transferred from a digital scale to a laptop, it is important to calibrate the scale regularly and follow any specific instructions provided by the manufacturer. It is also recommended to double-check the data after transfer and make adjustments if necessary.