Diffusion regime in plasma SOL

In summary, in order to determine the width of the SOL, we must compare particle and heat diffusion. The ions and electrons also play a role, with the diffusion coefficient estimated as D= \lambda^2/\tau and parallel and perpendicular mean free paths calculated as \lambda_\parallel = v \tau and \lambda_\perp = \frac{m v_\perp}{|q| B}, respectively. The conductivities for electrons, \chi_{\parallel,e} and \chi_{\perp,e}, can also be used to estimate the thickness of the SOL with the expression \Delta_SOL = \sqrt{2 D \tau}. Evaluating for Te = 10 eV and 100 eV, we get
The Alchemist

Homework Statement

Find out whether particle or heat diffusion determines the width of the SOL, and whether the ions or electrons are the determining factor. (just compare all of those).
Give an expression to estimate the thickness of the SOL and evaluate the expression for Te = 10 and 100 eV.

Homework Equations

The diffusion coefficient is estimated as [itex]D= \lambda^2/\tau[/itex]. [[itex]\lambda[/itex]= mean free path; [itex]\tau[/itex] = collision time].
Parallel to the B-field the [itex]\lambda_\parallel = v \tau[/itex].
Perpendicular to the B‐field, [itex]\lambda_\perp = \frac{m v_\perp}{|q| B}[/itex], the gyro radius.

conductivities: [itex]\chi_{\parallel,e} = v_{th,e}^2 \tau_e[/itex]
[itex]\chi_{\perp,e} = \frac{v_{th,e}^2}{\omega_{ce}^2 \tau_e}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to fill in the mean free paths (lambdas) in the formulas of [itex]D[/itex] and compare them with [itex]\chi[/itex], but I get exactly the same expression.
So I'm not really sure if I use the right approach, I can't really think straight on this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the thickness of the SOL, I think we can use this expression: \Delta_SOL = \sqrt{2 D \tau}.Evaluating for Te = 10 eV, we have D = 5.45*10^4 m^2/s and \tau = 1.14*10^-7 s. So \Delta_SOL = 0.26 m.For Te = 100 eV, we have D = 7.67*10^5 m^2/s and \tau = 9.05*10^-7 s. So \Delta_SOL = 0.91 m.

Related to Diffusion regime in plasma SOL

1. What is the diffusion regime in plasma SOL?

The diffusion regime in plasma SOL refers to the process of particles, such as ions and electrons, moving from the edge of the plasma towards the surrounding material walls. This occurs due to the difference in density and temperature between the edge of the plasma and the material walls.

2. How does the diffusion regime affect plasma behavior?

The diffusion regime plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the plasma. It can impact the plasma's energy confinement, particle and heat transport, and overall stability. Therefore, understanding and controlling the diffusion regime is essential for successful plasma experiments.

3. What factors influence the diffusion regime in plasma SOL?

Several factors can influence the diffusion regime in plasma SOL, including the plasma density, temperature, and magnetic field strength. The geometry of the plasma chamber and the material composition of the surrounding walls can also play a significant role in determining the diffusion regime.

4. How is the diffusion regime measured and studied?

The diffusion regime in plasma SOL is often studied using various diagnostic techniques, such as Langmuir probes, spectroscopy, and imaging. These methods allow scientists to measure the plasma's properties, such as temperature, density, and flow velocity, and track how they change over time.

5. Can the diffusion regime be controlled?

Yes, the diffusion regime in plasma SOL can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the plasma parameters and the material properties of the surrounding walls. This can be achieved through techniques such as plasma shaping, magnetic field manipulation, and surface coatings. However, further research is needed to fully understand and control the diffusion regime in plasma SOL.