Diffusion equation with Dirichlet BC

In summary, the problem involves finding the solution to ut=kuxx with the given boundary conditions on the half line. The even or odd extension methods can both be used due to the symmetric nature of the boundary condition u(0,t)=1. The u(x,0)=0 boundary condition does not result in a solution of 0, as the integral is still multiplied by a non-zero value and includes the function ψ(y).
obnoxiousris

Homework Statement

Solve ut=kuxx
u(x,0)=0 (ψ(x))
u(0,t)=1
on the half line 0<x<infinity
(exercise 2, 3.1, Strauss)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two bits I don't get:

First, I know I have to make an odd or even extension to the whole line. But for both even and odd extensions, the formulae are:
u(x,t)=1/(√4∏kt)(∫(e-(x-y)2/4kt±e-(x+y)2/4kt)ψ(y)dy)
this means for u(x,0)=0, everything is multiplied by 0, which clearly isn't right.

Second, I don't know which extension to apply, it seems like both should work: I can either make an odd extension about the line x=1 or an even extension about the t axis, both will intercept the t axis at 1, hence satisfying the BC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I believe I can provide some insights to help you solve this problem.

Firstly, for the odd or even extension, you are correct in saying that both should work. This is because the boundary condition u(0,t)=1 is symmetric, meaning it is satisfied by both even and odd functions. Therefore, you can choose whichever extension method you are more comfortable with.

Now, for the u(x,0)=0 boundary condition, you are correct in saying that the integral will become 0. However, this does not mean that the solution will be 0. This is because the integral is multiplied by 1/√4∏kt, which means that the solution will still have a non-zero value. Additionally, the integral also includes the function ψ(y), which will have an impact on the solution.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your problem solving!

Related to Diffusion equation with Dirichlet BC

1. What is the diffusion equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions?

The diffusion equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of a substance (such as heat, mass, or particles) through a medium, taking into account the concentration or density of the substance at the boundaries of the system. It is represented mathematically as:

∂u/∂t = D∇²u

where u is the concentration or density of the substance, t is time, D is the diffusion coefficient, and ∇² is the Laplace operator.

2. What are Dirichlet boundary conditions?

Dirichlet boundary conditions, also known as fixed boundary conditions, specify the value of the dependent variable at the boundaries of a system. In the context of the diffusion equation, they represent the concentration or density of the substance at the boundaries. This means that the value of the dependent variable remains constant at the boundaries, and the substance does not diffuse through them.

3. How are Dirichlet boundary conditions applied in the diffusion equation?

Dirichlet boundary conditions are applied by specifying the value of the dependent variable at the boundaries in the diffusion equation. This means that the value of the dependent variable is known at the boundaries, and the equation is solved for the values at other points in the system. This allows for the behavior of the substance to be determined within the system, based on the specified boundary conditions.

4. What are some examples of systems that can be described by the diffusion equation with Dirichlet BC?

The diffusion equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions can be applied to various systems in physics, chemistry, and biology. Some examples include the diffusion of heat through a solid material, the diffusion of solutes in a liquid solution, and the diffusion of gases in the atmosphere. It can also be used to model the spread of diseases in populations and the movement of particles in a cell.

5. What are the limitations of the diffusion equation with Dirichlet BC?

The diffusion equation with Dirichlet boundary conditions is a simplification of real-world systems and has some limitations. It assumes that the substance being diffused is in a homogenous medium and that diffusion occurs in all directions. It also does not take into account any external forces or sources that may affect the diffusion process. Additionally, it is only valid for systems where the concentration or density of the substance is relatively low, and the diffusion coefficient remains constant.