Diffusion equation in sperical coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the diffusion equation with a finite domain and initial and boundary conditions. The solution involves separating the variables and dealing with Bessel functions. The main problem is finding the constants and solving for the boundary conditions to get a meaningful solution.
lostidentity
I have the following diffusion equation

[tex]
\frac{\partial^{2}c}{\partial r^{2}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial c}{\partial r} = \frac{1}{\alpha}\frac{\partial c}{\partial t}
[/tex]

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the diffusivity. The solution progresses in a finite domain where [tex]0 < r < b[/tex], with initial condition
[tex] c(r,0) = g(r) [/tex]

and the boundary conditions

[tex]
c(b,t) = 1
[/tex]

[tex]
c(0,t) = 0
[/tex]

How will I proceed with this using the separation of variables?
I think the time-dependent part is straight forward after separation of variables. But how will I deal with the spatial part where Bessel functions have to be dealt with?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}c}{\partial r^{2}} + \frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial c}{\partial r} = \lambda[/tex]

[tex] \frac{r}{2} \frac{\partial^{2}c}{\partial r^{2}} + \frac{\partial c}{\partial r} = \frac{r \lambda}{2}[/tex]

Let u = r/2 and you should be able to get it into the form of [tex]x \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} + \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx} (x \frac{dy}{dx})[/tex]

Hello thanks for the reply. I've found out that my spatial equation is in the form of the spherical Bessel function equation, where the Bessel functions of the first and second kinds are given by

[tex]J_0(\lambda{r}) = \frac{\sin(\lambda{r})}{\lambda{r}}[/tex]
[tex]Y_0(\lambda{r}) = -\frac{\cos(\lambda{r})}{\lambda{r}}[/tex]

I ignore [tex]Y_0[/tex] since it goes to infinity when [tex]r=0[/tex]. The general solution then becomes

[tex]c(r,t)=De^{-(\alpha\lambda^2t)}J_0(\lambda{r})[/tex]

Now the problem I'm having is finding the constant D and [tex]\lambda[/tex] using the initial and boundary conditions.

The initial condition is [tex]c(r,0)=g(r)[/tex]

I first apply the initial condition to obtain

[tex]c(r,0)=DJ_0(\lambda{r})=g(r)[/tex]
[tex]D=\frac{g(r)}{J_0(\lambda{r})}[/tex]

I now apply the boundary condition [tex]c(b,t)=1[/tex] to obtain

[tex]
c(b,t)=\frac{g(b)}{J_0(\lambda{b})}e^{-\alpha\lambda^2t}J_0(\lambda{b})}=1
[/tex]

[tex]
-\alpha\lambda^2{t}=\ln(\frac{1}{g(b)})
[/tex]

Therefore the solution is

[tex]
c(r,t)=g(r)e^{\ln\frac{1}{g(b)}}
[/tex]

but my problem is [tex]g(b)=1[/tex] for the profile, which means that the solution is actually

[tex]
c(r,t)=g(r)
[/tex]

i.e. it doesn't change with time! I don't think this makes sense.
What am I doing wrong here?

EDIT:

I realized that I've forgotten a simple rule of calculus where I should apply both the boundary conditions first before I apply the initial conditions. However, this gives another problem because applying the first boundary condition

[tex]c(0,t)=0[/tex] gives me

[tex]De^{\alpha\lambda^2t}=0[/tex]

and the second boundary condition [tex]c(b,t)=1[/tex] gives

[tex]De^{\alpha\lambda^2t}J_0(\lambda{r})=1[/tex]

I don't know how this could be solved. It could be that my boundary conditions are incorrect.

Last edited:

Related to Diffusion equation in sperical coordinates

1. What is the diffusion equation in spherical coordinates?

The diffusion equation in spherical coordinates is a mathematical model that describes the diffusion of a substance in a three-dimensional spherical system. It is commonly used to study diffusion processes in physical, chemical, and biological systems.

2. How is the diffusion equation derived in spherical coordinates?

The diffusion equation in spherical coordinates is derived from Fick's second law of diffusion, which states that the rate of change of concentration of a substance is proportional to the negative gradient of its concentration. By considering the spherical geometry of the system, the diffusion equation takes into account the radial, angular, and azimuthal components of diffusion.

3. What are the assumptions made in the diffusion equation in spherical coordinates?

The main assumptions made in the diffusion equation in spherical coordinates are that the diffusion process is isotropic (equal in all directions), the substance being diffused is non-reactive, and the concentration gradient is small enough to be considered linear. Additionally, it is assumed that there are no external sources or sinks of the diffusing substance.

4. What are the applications of the diffusion equation in spherical coordinates?

The diffusion equation in spherical coordinates has a wide range of applications in various fields such as materials science, chemical engineering, biophysics, and environmental science. It is used to study diffusion processes in biological cells, gas diffusion in porous media, and the diffusion of pollutants in the atmosphere, among others.

5. How is the diffusion equation solved in spherical coordinates?

The diffusion equation in spherical coordinates can be solved using various analytical and numerical methods. Some common techniques include separation of variables, numerical integration, and finite difference methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.