Heat Diffusion in 3D: Almost Spherical Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the diffusion of heat in three dimensions, specifically the "almost spherical" case with azimuthal symmetry and small derivatives in theta. The speaker is interested in finding a functional form of T that will satisfy the problem, and mentions using multiple scale analysis. The conversation also touches on boundary conditions, specifically Neumann conditions and a heat flux function ##g(x)## at a point ##x## on the boundary. The speaker clarifies that x is a point on the boundary and that the heat flux is not a function of ##\phi## due to the azimuthal symmetry.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
Suppose I am considering the diffusion of heat in three dimensions:
[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r^{2}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\right)+\frac{1}{r^{2}\sin\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\left(\sin\theta\frac{\partial T}{\partial\theta}\right)+\frac{1}{r^{2}\sin^{2}\theta}\frac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial\varphi^{2}}[/tex]
and I am interesting in the case where the diffusion is ``almost spherical'', with azimuthal symmetry that is all derivatives of [itex]\varphi[/itex] vanish and the derivatives in [itex]\theta[/itex] are small. I'm pretty sure that I can't simply scale everything out but is there a functional form of [itex]T[/itex] which I can assume which will do the job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you think that all this depends on the boundary conditions? What boundary conditions did you have in mind?

Having thought about this, I think that this is a job for multiple scale analysis.

The boundary conditions are Neumann conditions and so can be expanded via perturbation to be on the sphere.

Please write out the exact boundary comditiom you wish to use.

This is only a test problem to see if my idea comes across as sensible. Take for example [itex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}\cdot\nabla T=g(x)[/itex] let's say.

hunt_mat said:
This is only a test problem to see if my idea comes across as sensible. Take for example [itex]\hat{\mathbf{n}}\cdot\nabla T=g(x)[/itex] let's say.
What's x?

[itex]x[/itex] is a point on the boundary.

hunt_mat said:
[itex]x[/itex] is a point on the boundary.
So the heat flux at the surface of the sphere is a function of ##\phi##?

No, I am considering azimuthal symmetry.

As I said before, I think the method of multiple scales works fine for this problem.

Related to Heat Diffusion in 3D: Almost Spherical Flow

1. What is heat diffusion in 3D?

Heat diffusion in 3D is the process of heat transfer through a three-dimensional object or space. It occurs when there is a temperature difference between two or more regions, causing heat to flow from the hotter region to the cooler region.

2. How does heat diffusion occur in almost spherical flow?

In almost spherical flow, heat diffusion occurs due to the temperature difference between the inner and outer layers of the spherical object. The heat is transferred from the center of the object to the outer layer, resulting in a gradual decrease in temperature towards the surface.

3. What factors affect heat diffusion in 3D?

The factors that affect heat diffusion in 3D include the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the two regions, the size and shape of the object, and the presence of any barriers or obstacles to heat transfer.

4. How is heat diffusion in 3D modeled and studied?

Heat diffusion in 3D is typically modeled and studied using numerical simulations or mathematical equations. These models take into account the physical properties of the object, as well as the boundary conditions and environmental factors, to predict the rate and direction of heat diffusion.

5. What are the practical applications of studying heat diffusion in 3D?

The study of heat diffusion in 3D has many practical applications, including understanding heat transfer in various materials and structures, designing efficient heating and cooling systems, and predicting the behavior of objects under different temperature conditions. It is also used in fields such as materials science, engineering, and climate science.