Diffusion equation, boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a temperature problem involving the diffusion equation and how to simplify it by applying a boundary condition. The solution for X(x) is found to be X(x) = Cekx+De-kx, with the possibility of either C or D being 0. Ultimately, it is determined that C must equal 0 in order for X(x) to approach 0 as x tends to infinity.
tomwilliam
EDIT: The subscripts in this question should all be superscripts!

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve a temperature problem involving the diffusion equation, which has led me to the expression:

X(x) = Cekx+De-kx

Where U(x,y) = X(x)Y(y)
and I am ignoring any expressions where Y(y)=0 or X(x)=0 for all values of their variables as these are trivial solutions.

I'm told I can simplify things by applying one of the boundary conditions:

As x tends towards infinity, U(x,y) tends towards 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my question is, how do I apply this to the general solution I've found for X(x)?
I know that Y(y) is not zero, so I effectively have X(x) going to zero as x tends towards infinity. So I need to work out what happens to Cekx + De-kx. As 1/x tends to 0 as x tends to infinity, can I assume that D/ekx also tends towards 0? Or does it tend to D? And what about C?

Thank in advance for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your equation...?

[tex]X(x) = Ce^{kx} + De^{-kx}[/tex]

Yes, that's right.

I've worked out that C=0 as this is the only way to ensure X(x)=0 as x tends to infinity.

Thanks anyway

Related to Diffusion equation, boundary conditions

1. What is the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation is a mathematical equation that describes the process of diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration.

2. What are the key variables in the diffusion equation?

The key variables in the diffusion equation are the diffusivity coefficient, the concentration gradient, and the time. The diffusivity coefficient is a measure of how easily particles can move through a medium, the concentration gradient is the change in concentration over a distance, and time is the duration of the diffusion process.

3. What are boundary conditions in the diffusion equation?

Boundary conditions in the diffusion equation refer to the constraints placed on the system at the boundaries of the diffusion process. These can include fixed concentrations, fluxes, or other physical constraints that affect the movement of particles.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the solution to the diffusion equation?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the diffusion process and can significantly impact the solution to the diffusion equation. They can affect the rate and direction of diffusion, as well as the final concentration profile of the diffusing particles.

5. What are some common applications of the diffusion equation?

The diffusion equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, including chemistry, physics, biology, and engineering. Some common examples include modeling the spread of chemicals in a liquid or gas, predicting the movement of nutrients in biological systems, and understanding the diffusion of heat in materials.