Diffraction of a extensive source

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a condenser lens to create a converging image at the focal plane, and the question of how to solve the diffraction when a single slit is present at the focal plane. It mentions the Kirchhoff integral in the Fraunhofer approximation as a possible solution and considers the possibility of treating the waves at the focal plane as a plane wave to simplify the integral.
viko

Homework Statement

There is an extensive source (since it isn't important it can be monochromatic). The waves goes through a condenser lens that makes them converge. So, what we have is the "image" reproduced at the other side of the lens, at the focal plane.
So now: I understand that each dot of that image works again as a point source. Is that correct? (I assume that's correct.)

Now supose we have a single slit at the focal plane.
---->How can I solve the diffraction?<---- (I'll use, for example, the kirchhoff integral in the Fraunhofer aproximation).

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff integral in fraunhoffer aproximation:

[tex] E= \frac{-1}{2 \pi \lambda} [/tex] [tex] \frac{e^{i(wt-kr)}}{r}[/tex] [tex] \frac{1+ \cos( \Theta )}{2} [/tex] [tex] \int_{ }^{ } \int_{S}^{ } E_{incident}(r') [/tex][tex]e^{ik\frac{x}{r}x'}[/tex] [tex]e^{ik\frac{y}{r}y'} dx' dy' [/tex]

[tex]E_{incident}(r') = [/tex] [tex]\frac{A}{z'} [/tex] [tex]e^{i(wt-kz') + ik [/tex] [tex]\frac{(x'^2+y'^2)}{z'} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering that I have a single source at each point of the slit,
trying to solve the integral, I found that I cannot evaluate the waves in the slit, because the waves cannot be evaluated at the convergence point.

So, what to do?

I don't know why, but I think in consider the waves at the focal plane as a plane wave. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.If it does, then:E_{incident}(r') = \frac{A}{z'} e^{i(wt-kz')}Then I can solve the integral.Am I right?

Related to Diffraction of a extensive source

What is diffraction of an extensive source?

Diffraction of an extensive source refers to the bending and spreading of waves as they encounter an obstacle or pass through an opening. It is a phenomenon that occurs with all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

What factors affect the amount of diffraction that occurs?

The amount of diffraction that occurs depends on the wavelength of the wave, the size of the obstacle or opening, and the distance between the source and the obstacle or opening. Generally, longer wavelengths and smaller obstacles or openings result in more diffraction.

How does diffraction differ from refraction?

Diffraction and refraction are both ways in which waves can change direction, but they are caused by different mechanisms. Diffraction occurs when waves encounter an obstacle or opening, while refraction occurs when waves pass through a medium with varying density, such as air to water.

What are some real-world examples of diffraction of an extensive source?

Diffraction of an extensive source can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you hear someone talking around a corner, diffraction is occurring. Another example is when you see rainbows in the sky, which are created by the diffraction of sunlight through water droplets in the atmosphere.

How is diffraction of an extensive source used in science and technology?

Diffraction of an extensive source is used in various scientific and technological applications. In physics, it is used to study the properties of waves and to understand the behavior of light. In engineering, it is used in the design of antennas, microscopes, and other devices that utilize waves. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as X-rays and ultrasound, to create detailed images of the body.