Deriving circular aperture diffraction

In summary, the conversation discusses the origin of the number 1.22 in the equation sinθ = 1.22λ/D. The conversation also mentions the use of the electric field equation at a distance R due to a slit of length D and the attempt to break down the circle into a series of strips. The discussion then moves on to integrating with the help of Bessel functions to solve for the value of 1.22.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

i don't understand where the 1.22 number comes from like in
##
sin \theta = 1.22 \lambda /D
##
so i tried to derive but to not much help

Homework Equations

electric field at distance R due to slit of length D is
##
E = \frac{\epsilon_l D}{R} sinc(\frac{kD}{2}sin \theta)sin(wt - kR)
##
so i thought of breaking the circle into series of strips with theta being zero so sinc being 1

The Attempt at a Solution

##
\epsilon_ l = \epsilon_a dx\\
D= \sqrt{R^2 - x^2}\\
R = R+x sin\theta\\

dE = \frac{\epsilon_A dx 2 \sqrt{R^2 - x^2}}{R}sin(wt - kR + kxsin\theta)\\

E= \frac{2 \epsilon_a}{R} \int _{-R}^{R} \sqrt {R^2 - x^2}sin(wt -kR + kxsin\theta)dx\\
E = \frac{2 \epsilon_a}{R} sin(wt - kR) \int_{-R}^{R} \sqrt {R^2 - x^2} cos(kx sin \theta)dx\\
##
the other term drops out as it is odd
i tried to put this into integral calculator but it didnt give an answer so help where does the 1.22 come from[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
oh wow so is the solution to this integral also bessel function?

if so would you be kind enough to provide the solution (as in the thread you mentioned the op seems to be doing in polar coordinates so the integrals are slightly different) then i might think about how the 1.22 comes about(i don't know bessel functions)

On this one I think you can take ## \frac{\pi r d }{\lambda z} =3.8317 ## (3.8317 is the first zero of ## J_1(x) ##). that means ## \frac{r}{z} \approx \sin(\theta)=(\frac{3.8317}{\pi}) \frac{\lambda}{d}=1.22 \frac{\lambda}{d} ##. ## \\ ## Note: I googled the ## J_1 ## Bessel function. I'm not real familiar with Bessel functions either.

Likes timetraveller123
oh i see thanks for the help i will try to learn a bit about bessel functions

Likes Charles Link

Related to Deriving circular aperture diffraction

What is circular aperture diffraction?

Circular aperture diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light, passes through a circular opening or aperture. This results in a diffraction pattern, where the wave spreads out and interferes with itself, creating a series of bright and dark fringes.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern in circular apertures?

The size of the aperture, the wavelength of the wave, and the distance between the aperture and the screen on which the diffraction pattern is observed, all affect the diffraction pattern in circular apertures. The shape of the aperture can also have an impact.

How is the diffraction pattern calculated for a circular aperture?

The diffraction pattern for a circular aperture can be calculated using the Fresnel diffraction equation, which takes into account the size and shape of the aperture, as well as the wavelength of the wave. This equation can be solved analytically or numerically using computational methods.

What applications does circular aperture diffraction have?

Circular aperture diffraction has many applications, including in optical imaging systems, such as telescopes and microscopes, where it can affect the resolution and clarity of the image. It is also used in spectroscopy to analyze the properties of light and other waves.

How is circular aperture diffraction different from other types of diffraction?

Circular aperture diffraction is a specific type of diffraction that occurs when a wave passes through a circular opening. Other types of diffraction, such as single slit diffraction or double slit diffraction, occur when a wave passes through a different shaped opening or multiple openings. The resulting diffraction patterns for each type can differ in terms of the number and spacing of the fringes.