Diffraction Grating Video (QED)

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for videos demonstrating how light can be reflected by a diffraction grating even when the incident laser is not pointing directly at the grating. The person is requesting any links to real videos, not CGI animations, and mentions the possibility of conducting the experiment themselves. A link to a relevant forum thread is also shared. The experiment itself can be explained using classical electromagnetic theory.
maverick_starstrider
I was just looking through Feynman's QED book (i'm surprised I'd never read it before) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any videos out there that actually experimentally demonstrate how light can be reflected by a diffraction grating even when the incident laser isn't actually POINTING at the grating. Or perhaps something similar where a small mirror is placed on top of a diffraction grating and a laser pointed at the mirror only and yet diffraction effects can be seen. Any links would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm looking for a real video, not CGI animations.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Diffraction Grating Video (QED)

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device that contains a large number of parallel, closely spaced slits or grooves. When light passes through the grating, it is diffracted and separated into a spectrum of colors.

2. How does a diffraction grating work?

A diffraction grating works by causing the light waves passing through it to interfere with each other, creating a pattern of bright and dark spots. The spacing between the slits or grooves determines the angle at which the light will be diffracted.

3. What is the purpose of using a diffraction grating in a QED video?

The purpose of using a diffraction grating in a QED video is to demonstrate the phenomenon of diffraction, which is a key principle in quantum electrodynamics (QED). The diffraction grating allows us to observe the behavior of light at a microscopic level and better understand the nature of light and matter.

4. How is a diffraction grating video created?

A diffraction grating video is created by recording the patterns formed by light passing through a diffraction grating. The video is usually recorded using a high-speed camera to capture the rapid movement of the diffracted light. The video is then slowed down and analyzed to better understand the behavior of light in the diffraction process.

5. What are the applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have many applications in science and technology. They are used in spectrometers to analyze the composition of light, in optical instruments such as telescopes and microscopes, and in laser technology for precise measurements and control. They are also used in the production of holograms and in the printing industry to create high-resolution images.