Diffraction Grating - Resolving Power

In summary: So the dividing or resolution limit is mN .The resolving power in second order is mN .In summary, the question asks for the angle of diffraction for the 577 nm line in second order when passed through a grating with 2400 lines at 80 lines per mm. Additionally, it asks for the expected dispersion and resolving power in second order. To find the resolving power, the formula R = λ/Δλ = Nm must be used. The resolving power in second order is mN. When assuming Δλ = 2 nm, the resolving power becomes 2mN and the dividing or resolution limit is mN.
Darth Frodo

Homework Statement

4. Light from a mercury discharge lamp contains 2 yellow lines at 577 nm and 579 nm. Find the angle of diffraction for the 577 nm line in second order when passed through a grating having 2400 lines at 80 lines per mm.
What is the expected dispersion in second order in the vicinity of this line?
What is the resolving power in second order?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so the first part was grand. I'm having trouble with the second part,

[itex]R = \frac{λ}{Δλ} = Nm[/itex]

This gives me 2 very different answers though. Which one is applicable and why? I mean, they are obviously only equal at one value for m but I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shameless Bump

Darth Frodo said:

Homework Statement

4. Light from a mercury discharge lamp contains 2 yellow lines at 577 nm and 579 nm. Find the angle of diffraction for the 577 nm line in second order when passed through a grating having 2400 lines at 80 lines per mm.
What is the expected dispersion in second order in the vicinity of this line?
What is the resolving power in second order?

Ok so the first part was grand. I'm having trouble with the second part,

[itex]R = \frac{λ}{Δλ} = Nm[/itex]

This gives me 2 very different answers though. Which one is applicable and why? I mean, they are obviously only equal at one value for m but I don't know.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You're not assuming that Δλ = 2 nm, are you?

Darth Frodo said:
Shameless Bump
Yes. You waited nearly long enough for a legal bump.

Yes, I am assuming that Δλ = 2 nm. Why? I assume this is incorrect?

Darth Frodo said:
Yes, I am assuming that Δλ = 2 nm. Why? I assume this is incorrect?
2 nm is what you need to be able to resolve. -- i.e. your resolving power needs to be λ/(Δλ) .

The resolving power of the grating in second order is (m)(N) .

Related to Diffraction Grating - Resolving Power

1. What is a diffraction grating and how does it work?

A diffraction grating is a tool used in optics to separate light into its individual components, typically by wavelength. It consists of a flat surface with a series of parallel, evenly spaced lines or grooves. When light passes through the grating, it is diffracted, or bent, by the lines, causing the different wavelengths to spread out and become visible.

2. What is the resolving power of a diffraction grating?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating refers to its ability to separate closely spaced wavelengths of light. It is measured by the number of lines per unit length on the grating and is directly proportional to this value. A higher resolving power means that the grating can distinguish between smaller differences in wavelength.

3. How is the resolving power of a diffraction grating calculated?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating can be calculated using the equation R = Nm, where R is the resolving power, N is the number of lines per unit length, and m is the order of the spectrum. This equation assumes that the light is monochromatic, or composed of a single wavelength. For polychromatic light, the resolving power is slightly different and can be calculated using a modified equation.

4. What factors can affect the resolving power of a diffraction grating?

The resolving power of a diffraction grating can be affected by several factors, including the number of lines per unit length, the order of the spectrum, and the width of the lines. Additionally, the angle of incidence of the light and the angle at which the light is viewed can also impact the resolving power. Other factors such as the quality of the grating, the wavelength of light, and the material the grating is made of can also play a role.

5. How is a diffraction grating used in practical applications?

Diffraction gratings have many practical uses in various fields, including spectroscopy, astronomy, and telecommunications. In spectroscopy, they are used to study the composition of different substances by analyzing the wavelengths of light they emit. In astronomy, gratings are used to measure the spectra of stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects. In telecommunications, they are used in optical fibers to transmit and receive different wavelengths of light, allowing for faster and more efficient communication.