Problem with wave optics - diffraction grating?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a diffraction grating for a science fair project. The grating needs to disperse the visible spectrum over 30 degrees in first order, and the question asks for the number of lines per mm needed for this to be achieved. Various equations are provided, but the key equation is sin(Θ) = mλ/d. The solution involves finding the difference in angle between the first order maximum for 400 nm light and 700 nm light, and using this to calculate the number of lines per mm needed for the grating.
winsticknova

Homework Statement

For your science fair project, you need to design a diffraction grating that will disperse the visible spectrum (400-700nm) over 30 degrees in first order.
How many lines per mm does your grating need?

Homework Equations

sin(Θ) = mλ/d
y = Ltan(Θ)

I'm pretty sure the only equation I need is the first one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start. I tried plugging in 400 nm and 700 nm in the first equation with m =1 and Θ=30°. But I don't get the right answer with either. If I use 400 nm, I get 1250 lines/mm which is close to the answer but not exact. The answer is 1230 lines/mm but I don't know how they get that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Win, welcome to PF :smile:

As usual, you start with reading the question carefully, and trying to find out what it is they want from you.
From your attempt at a solution, I see that what you do is to have the first maximum for 400 nm light at 30 degrees.
That is not what is asked for. I think you misinterpret the word 'disperse' (english: spread -- I think)
If you look at the top picture here you see two peaks with m=1. Any idea what angle the exercise wants to be 30 degrees for the line density you have to calculate ?

The grating formula is

m λ = d (sin β + sin α)

where

m: Diffraction order

λ: Wavelength of the incoming light

d: Grating constant

β: Angle between the incoming light and the grating normal

α: Angle between the outgoing light (dispersed light) and the grating normal (exit angle)

In the question above β = 0° and m = 1. So

λ = d sin 30°

and the d is asked.

Note that, for each wavelength the exit angle is different.

Therefore you have to consider the wavelength, 550 nm

(400 nm + 700 nm) / 2

as a reference wavelength. In this case d = 1,1 x 10^(-6) m.

That is, the grating must have

1 / d = 909 l / mm.

----------------------------
Örsan Yüksek

orsanyuksek2013 said:
λ = d sin 30°

and the d is asked.
Dear Örsan,

That's not what the problem statement says. I think you also misinterpret the word 'disperse' in

"disperse the visible spectrum (400-700nm) over 30 degrees in first order"​

The value for d the exercise wants as an answer is the d that causes a difference of 30 degrees between the first order maximum for 400 nm light and the first order maximum for 700 nm light. In other words$$
400 \; {\rm nm} = 1\;{10^{-3} \; {\rm m}\over N}\;\sin\phi\\
700 \; {\rm nm} = 1\;{10^{-3} \;{\rm m}\over N}\;\sin(\phi+{\pi\over 6})
$$

Hi BvU,

than for the clarification.

In this case:

400 = d sin a

700 = d sin b

b - a = 30°

4 sin a
--- = --------------------
7 sin b

4 sin b = 7 sin a

a = 29.5°
b= 59.5°

400 = d sin 29.5°

1 / d = 1230 l / mm

----------------------------
Örsan Yüksek

Well done ! -- But now Win hasn't had the opportunity to learn and gather experience from this exercise. It IS against PF rules to give away a full solution, but I don't think that's a big problem ( in view of the fact that the first post is two weeks old.

The difficult part in this exercise was "reading the question carefully, and trying to find out what it is they want" :wink:

Related to Problem with wave optics - diffraction grating?

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical element that is used to separate light into its individual wavelengths. It consists of a large number of evenly spaced parallel lines or slits that act as sources of diffraction, causing the light to spread out and produce a pattern of bright and dark fringes.

2. What is the cause of the problem with wave optics and diffraction gratings?

The main problem with wave optics and diffraction gratings is the phenomenon known as diffraction, where light waves bend and spread out when they encounter an obstacle or a slit. This causes the light to interfere with itself, resulting in a complex pattern of light and dark fringes that can make it difficult to analyze the individual wavelengths of light.

3. How does the spacing of the lines on a diffraction grating affect the diffraction pattern?

The spacing of the lines on a diffraction grating directly affects the diffraction pattern produced. The smaller the spacing between the lines, the larger the angle of diffraction and the more spread out the pattern will be. Conversely, a larger spacing between the lines will result in a smaller diffraction angle and a more compact pattern.

4. What are some practical applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have a wide range of applications in various fields such as spectroscopy, astronomy, and telecommunications. They are used to analyze the composition of materials, measure the wavelengths of light, and improve the resolution of optical instruments.

5. Can the problem with wave optics and diffraction gratings be overcome?

While diffraction is an inherent property of light, there are ways to minimize its effects and improve the accuracy of diffraction grating measurements. This can be achieved by using gratings with smaller spacing, using a high-quality light source, and utilizing advanced techniques such as multiple diffraction orders.