Difficulty manipulating a limit question (secant method)

You don't need to solve for x* as a function of k. You don't need to solve for xk either. You just need to find beta. I know you're not allowed to assume that you know that the RHS limit exists, but can you use the fact that the LHS limit exists to find a value of beta that makes things look a bit like the RHS limit? That's all I want you to do. Just find a value of beta that makes things look a bit like the RHS limit.It looks like beta = q-1 works.You've made a mistake. The things
BomboshMan
Hey, I'm really struggling with this 'show that' question regarding the secant method, I just keep going in circles and I think I may be heading in completely in the wrong direction because I'm not getting anywhere.

Homework Statement

We're given that, if x* is the zero of f then (we don't need to prove this),

lim[itex]_{k\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]\frac{|xk+1-x*|}{|xk-x*||xk-1-x*|}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{|f''(x*)|}{2|f'(x*)|}[/itex],

where xk are the approximations produced by the secant method.

Assuming the limit on the left hand side exists, show that:

lim[itex]_{k\rightarrow∞}[/itex] [itex]\frac{|xk+1-x*|}{|xk-x*|q}[/itex] = ([itex]\frac{|f''(x*)|}{2|f'(x*)|}[/itex])q-1,

where q = (1 + [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex])/2

Homework Equations

We're given the hint: Use the algebra of limits and the fact that q satisfies q2 - q - 1 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been going in circles (showing that 1=1 a lot haha) for hours. I haven't been using anything of the secant method, I've just been trying to get from the given limit to the 'show that' limit by algebraically manipulating it, and I haven't been using anything to do with the secant method because it gets very messy when I introduce f into the limit.

The only ideas I have had are:

1) lim[itex]_{k\rightarrow∞}[/itex] [itex]\frac{|xk+1-x*|}{|xk-x*|q}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{|f''(x*|}{2|f'(x*|}[/itex] x lim[itex]_{k\rightarrow∞}[/itex][itex]\frac{|xk-1-x*|}{|xk-x*|q-1}[/itex]

2) I notice that [itex]\frac{|...|q2}{|...|q|...|}[/itex] = 1, where ... is for example xk - x*, so we can multiply this by anything without affecting it, as a 'manipulating tool'. Have no idea whether this is useful or not but it uses the hint so thought it might be.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fixed your markup so your post is more readable.
BomboshMan said:
Hey, I'm really struggling with this 'show that' question regarding the secant method, I just keep going in circles and I think I may be heading in completely in the wrong direction because I'm not getting anywhere.

Homework Statement

We're given that, if ##x_*## is the zero of f then (we don't need to prove this),
$$\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_* \rvert}{\lvert x_k-x_*\rvert \lvert x_{k-1}-x_*\rvert } = \frac{\lvert f''(x_*) \rvert}{2\lvert f'(x_*) \rvert},$$ where xk are the approximations produced by the secant method.

Assuming the limit on the left hand side exists, show that:
$$\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_*\rvert}{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert^q} = \left(\frac{\lvert f''(x_*)\rvert}{2\lvert f'(x_*)\rvert}\right)^{q-1},$$ where ##q = (1 + \sqrt{5})/2##.

Homework Equations

We're given the hint: Use the algebra of limits and the fact that q satisfies q2 - q - 1 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been going in circles (showing that 1=1 a lot haha) for hours. I haven't been using anything of the secant method, I've just been trying to get from the given limit to the 'show that' limit by algebraically manipulating it, and I haven't been using anything to do with the secant method because it gets very messy when I introduce f into the limit.

The only ideas I have had are:

1) $$\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_*\rvert}{\lvert x_k-x_*\rvert^q} = \frac{\lvert f''(x_*\rvert}{2|f'(x_*)\rvert} \times \lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k-1}-x_*\rvert}{\lvert x_k-x_*\rvert^{q-1}}$$

2) I notice that
$$\frac{\lvert\dots\rvert^{q^2}}{\lvert\dots|^q\rvert\dots|} = 1,$$ where ... is, for example, ##x_k - x_*##, so we can multiply this by anything without affecting it, as a 'manipulating tool'. Have no idea whether this is useful or not but it uses the hint so thought it might be.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Likes 1 person
Are you allowed to assume that you know the order of convergence for the secant method? In other words, is it already established that you know that
$$\lim_{k \to \infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_* \rvert}{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert^q}$$ is finite and non-zero for the given q? You assumed this fact when you wrote down your first idea.

If you're allowed to do this, try using the fact that
$$\lim_{k\to\infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k-1}-x_*\rvert}{\lvert x_k - x_* \rvert^{q-1}} = \lim_{k\to\infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert}{\lvert x_{k+1} - x_* \rvert^{q-1}}.$$ This is just reindexing the sequence so that ##k \to k+1##, which doesn't matter in the limit ##k \to \infty##. I don't know if this'll help. It's just a suggestion.

Last edited:
See if you can write
$$ \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_* \rvert}{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert \lvert x_{k-1}-x_*\rvert}$$ in the form ##b_{k+1}^\alpha b_k## for some constant ##\alpha##.

haruspex said:
See if you can write
$$ \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_* \rvert}{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert \lvert x_{k-1}-x_*\rvert}$$ in the form ##b_{k+1}^\alpha b_k## for some constant ##\alpha##.
I guess my hint wasn't strong enough.
Hint 2:
Multiply top and bottom of $$ \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_* \rvert}{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert \lvert x_{k-1}-x_*\rvert}$$ by ##\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert^\beta ##. Can you find a value of β that achieves my first hint?

a

Last edited:
Jamie Macreigh said:
Im not sure what the value of β is. Could you shed some light on this?
Do what I said in Hint 2, post #5. Post what you get.

I get (∣xk+1−x∗∣*∣xk−x∗∣^β) / (∣xk−x∗∣^β+1)*(∣xk−1−x∗∣)

But I'm not sure where to go from there. Could you assist?

Jamie Macreigh said:
I get (∣xk+1−x∗∣*∣xk−x∗∣^β) / (∣xk−x∗∣^β+1)*(∣xk−1−x∗∣)

But I'm not sure where to go from there. Could you assist?
Please try to use Latex:
##\frac{∣x_{k+1}−x_∗∣*∣x_k−x_∗∣^β}{ ∣x_k−x_∗∣^{β+1}*∣x_{k−1}−x_∗∣}##
To get that I put \frac{∣x_{k+1}−x_∗∣*∣x_k−x_∗∣^β}{ ∣x_k−x_∗∣^{β+1}*∣x_{k−1}−x_∗∣} inside pairs of hashes, like
HH latex HH​
where H stands for a hash symbol (#).
Look at the two terms (above and below the line) on the right. Suppose you increase k by 1 in each of these. It makes them look a bit like the two terms on the left. Find a value of beta that makes them look very alike.

haruspex said:
Please try to use Latex:
##\frac{∣x_{k+1}−x_∗∣*∣x_k−x_∗∣^β}{ ∣x_k−x_∗∣^{β+1}*∣x_{k−1}−x_∗∣}##
To get that I put \frac{∣x_{k+1}−x_∗∣*∣x_k−x_∗∣^β}{ ∣x_k−x_∗∣^{β+1}*∣x_{k−1}−x_∗∣} inside pairs of hashes, like
HH latex HH​
where H stands for a hash symbol (#).
Look at the two terms (above and below the line) on the right. Suppose you increase k by 1 in each of these. It makes them look a bit like the two terms on the left. Find a value of beta that makes them look very alike.

Im afraid I am not sure what the value of beta would be. How can the value of β be made to look like the value of β+1??

Jamie Macreigh said:
Im afraid I am not sure what the value of beta would be. How can the value of β be made to look like the value of β+1??
I didn't say it should look like β+1.
Separate the expression out into two factors as I indicated - the two left hand terms in one, the two right hand in the other.
Increase k by 1 in the right hand factor.
I gave another hint in post #4: now apply a power ##\alpha## to the right hand factor. What value of ##\alpha## turns the right hand factor into the left hand factor?

Im not sure what the value of α would be could you shed some light?

is it 1/β+1 ?

Jamie Macreigh said:
is it 1/β+1 ?
Do you mean 1/(β+1). If that's what you get then maybe you raised the left hand factor to the power of α to make it look like the right hand? Please post your working.
Anyway, you should get two equations. You need the top right factor to become like the top left, and the lower right factor to become like the lower left. These two equations give specific values for α and β, and the equations should look like that for the given q.

To get the top right to look like the top left you raise it to the power 1/β
To get the bottom right to look like the bottom left you raise to the power β+1

Im failing to see how this helps to answer the question though.

Jamie Macreigh said:
To get the top right to look like the top left you raise it to the power 1/β
To get the bottom right to look like the bottom left you raise to the power β+1
Right, but you want it to be the same power in order to apply my first hint in the thread. What does that tell you about ##\beta##?

haruspex said:
Right, but you want it to be the same power in order to apply my first hint in the thread. What does that tell you about ##\beta##?

Right I see so 1/β is equal to β+1 and therefore β^2+β-1=0

Jamie Macreigh said:
Right I see so 1/β is equal to β+1 and therefore β^2+β-1=0
Yes. That makes a very simple relationship between beta and q. Can you proceed from there?

haruspex said:
Yes. That makes a very simple relationship between beta and q. Can you proceed from there?

I think i still need further help. I get that β= -((1+root5)/2) and 0.61803

What does that mean the relationship between β and q is?

Jamie Macreigh said:
I think i still need further help. I get that β= -((1+root5)/2) and 0.61803

What does that mean the relationship between β and q is?
I see you're not familiar with the Golden Section.
β= (1-root5)/2. Invert and simplify. Compare with the roots of the equation for q.

Sorry to be a hassle but i really don't see how this is fundamentally going to answer the question which is proving that the limit equals (∣f″(x∗)∣/2∣f′(x∗)∣))^q−1.

Jamie Macreigh said:
Sorry to be a hassle but i really don't see how this is fundamentally going to answer the question which is proving that the limit equals (∣f″(x∗)∣/2∣f′(x∗)∣))^q−1.
Sorry, out of time for the moment. Will respond in about six hours.

Jamie Macreigh said:
We have expressed ##\frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_* \rvert}{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert \lvert x_{k-1}-x_*\rvert}## in the form ##b_{k+1}^\alpha b_k##, agreed?
And bk looks very like the expression inside the limit on the LHS of
##\lim_{k\rightarrow\infty} \frac{\lvert x_{k+1}-x_*\rvert}{\lvert x_{k}-x_*\rvert^q} = \left(\frac{\lvert f''(x_*)\rvert}{2\lvert f'(x_*)\rvert}\right)^{q-1}##, yes?
You are told to assume the limit exists, so the bk tend to a limit. That being so, how does the limit of bk relate to the limit of ##b_{k+1}^\alpha b_k##?

Related to Difficulty manipulating a limit question (secant method)

1. What is the secant method and how does it work?

The secant method is a numerical approach used to find the root of a function. It is based on the idea of drawing a secant line between two points on the function and using the intersection of that secant line with the x-axis as an improved estimate of the root. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

2. When should the secant method be used?

The secant method is most effective for finding the root of a function when the function is continuous and differentiable. It is also useful when the initial guesses for the root are relatively close to the actual root. If the function is not continuous or differentiable, other methods such as the bisection method may be more appropriate.

3. What is the main advantage of using the secant method over other root-finding methods?

Compared to other numerical methods such as the bisection method or Newton's method, the secant method typically requires fewer function evaluations to achieve the same level of accuracy. This makes it a more efficient option for finding roots of a function.

4. What are the limitations of the secant method?

The secant method may fail if the initial guesses for the root are too far apart or if the function has multiple roots. It also requires the function to be continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case for certain functions.

5. Are there any tips for using the secant method effectively?

To increase the chances of success with the secant method, it is important to choose initial guesses that are relatively close to the actual root. It can also be useful to plot the function and visually estimate the location of the root to narrow down the initial guesses. Additionally, using smaller intervals between the initial guesses can improve the accuracy of the results.