Difficulties with solution/plotting of a PDE.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question with multiple parts about a PDE. The person is wondering about part c) and wants to check if their solution is correct. They provide their solutions for the question and ask for help on plotting 3 space curves on the same axes. The expert suggests using a 3D plot and provides an example using Maple. However, the expert also points out a potential issue with the solution provided for part c) as it may not be well defined for all intervals of x. The person asks for help in rearranging the inequalities to address this issue.
Gameowner

Homework Statement

Question attached

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mostly wondering with c) and also want to check if my solution is correct.

My solutions for this question are:

u(x,t)= -1/2 for x <= -1/2*t
= 1 for -t < x < 1-t
= 1/2 for x => 1/4*t+1

lastly, with c), I'm just wondering how to plot 3 space curves on the same axes?(as there are 3 different solutions)

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• question 10.jpg
    question 10.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Gameowner said:

Homework Statement

Question attached

Homework Equations

= 1 for -t < x < 1-t
= 1/2 for x => 1/4*t+1

lastly, with c), I'm just wondering how to plot 3 space curves on the same axes?(as there are 3 different solutions)

thanks in advance.

It depends on what software package you are using. In Maple it would be something like this. Call your three functions f(x),g(x), h(x)plot({f(x),g(x),h(x)},x=a..b);

where a and b are whatever limits you want.

LCKurtz said:
It depends on what software package you are using. In Maple it would be something like this. Call your three functions f(x),g(x), h(x)plot({f(x),g(x),h(x)},x=a..b);

where a and b are whatever limits you want.

Hi LCKurtz, thank you for your help ones again!

yes, I'm using Maple, as it is the only available computing package to me.

I tried plotting it the way you said, and it came out looking wrong, but I think it's because I'm doing it wrong, would this sort of PDE be more suitable with a 3D plot?

Below I've also done a 3D plot, where the xi ranges I worked out by inputting t=0,2,4 respectively to get the lowest and highest possible domain for x for each interval of x. Is there a way to tell Maple to join up the 3 sets of lines so that you can see where there are jump discontinuities?

Thanks.

Attachments

• plot1.JPG.jpg
    plot1.JPG.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 239
  • plot2.JPG.jpg
    plot2.JPG.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 254
Gameowner said:

Homework Statement

Question attached

Homework Equations

= 1 for -t < x < 1-t
= 1/2 for x => 1/4*t+1

thanks in advance.

First, I am not a PDE expert so I'm not sure how much help I can give you. You are to plot your solution for t = 0, 2, and 4. With t fixed you have just a function of x. So why would you use space curve instead of just plot.

But a more serious question I have is, consider your solution for t = 2. Then

u(x,2) = -1/2 for x <= -1
= 1 for -2 < x < -1
= 1/2 for x >= 3/2

What if x is between -2 and -1, do you use the first or second part? What about x between -1 and 3/2, what is u there? It doesn't look like your solution is well defined.

LCKurtz said:
First, I am not a PDE expert so I'm not sure how much help I can give you. You are to plot your solution for t = 0, 2, and 4. With t fixed you have just a function of x. So why would you use space curve instead of just plot.

But a more serious question I have is, consider your solution for t = 2. Then

u(x,2) = -1/2 for x <= -1
= 1 for -2 < x < -1
= 1/2 for x >= 3/2

What if x is between -2 and -1, do you use the first or second part? What about x between -1 and 3/2, what is u there? It doesn't look like your solution is well defined.

Oh you're quite right, but I have checked my inequalities and followed the example we've been given step by step, is there anyway to rearrange the inequalities so that the solution is defined for all intervals?

Thanks.

Related to Difficulties with solution/plotting of a PDE.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function with respect to multiple independent variables. It is commonly used to model physical systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the difficulties with solving or plotting a PDE?

Some of the main difficulties with solving or plotting a PDE include the complexity of the equations, the need for specialized numerical methods or software, and the potential for the solutions to be unstable or non-unique.

3. How do scientists approach solving PDEs?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to solve PDEs, including analytical methods, numerical algorithms, and computer simulations. They also rely on mathematical tools such as Fourier transforms, Green's functions, and variational principles to simplify the equations and find solutions.

4. Can PDEs be solved exactly?

In most cases, PDEs cannot be solved exactly due to their complexity. However, certain special cases or simplified versions of PDEs may have analytical solutions. In most cases, numerical methods are used to approximate the solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of PDEs?

PDEs have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and financial markets. PDEs also play a key role in many scientific fields, including quantum mechanics, general relativity, and climate modeling.