Difficulties with my assignment. Need help if anyone is up to it.

In summary, the student is having difficulties with the assignment and needs help. He has tried to solve the problem but has not been successful. He has tried different methods and gotten close, but needs to continue working on the problem.
Keba
[SOLVED] Difficulties with my assignment. Need help if anyone is up to it.

Homework Statement

Hello.
I need to rewite the formula B so that it will become formula A, step by step. I need to explain what I do every step of the way and write all the middle-calculations also. That is, so that I can get the statement to find the Volume of a frustum cone, using the height and the two radius' of the frustum cone.

Homework Equations

http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/6908/coneuh4.jpg
Here you can see A, B, and C, and the graph I used to make C

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to write the correct expression for V by using the height h, the long 'radius' R, and the short 'radius' r, and writing that as a linear function. Now I need to come from C to A, but I am not aware of how I can do that. I have made a couple of attempts at using the rules for differencial and integral calculation, but with no luck. I just can't seem to get it right.
Can, and will anyone help me with this problem? (sorry for my bad english, it is not my main language)

Keba

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It will probably make your life easier to start with the algebra. What do you get if you multiply out the binomial in your formula C?

(Where we are headed is to have an integrand which is a polynomial with constant coefficients -- R, r, and h -- which you can then integrate term by term.)

Well, after playing with it for a while, and integrating, I got this, but for some reason I can't seem to verify if that is correct.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2056/cone1fw2.jpg
in the first one, i inserted h on the space of x, and on the second, 0 on the space of x. But I'm really not sure if that is correct, or if I should start over.
However, this is not similar to A, and I therefore need to make it smaller, if possible.

Keba said:
Well, after playing with it for a while, and integrating, I got this, but for some reason I can't seem to verify if that is correct.
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2056/cone1fw2.jpg
in the first one, i inserted h on the space of x, and on the second, 0 on the space of x. But I'm really not sure if that is correct, or if I should start over.
However, this is not similar to A, and I therefore need to make it smaller, if possible.

It would help if you showed more steps in your work. I ran through the calculation and get equation C, which your result is not equivalent to.

What did you have immediately after you evaluated the integral? Watch your algebra closely.

Right before the other calculation, I had this:
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/232/cone2bu9.jpg
so, it is before I multiplied with pi.
I believe I used the solve function on my texas ti-89 calculator in order to get to the last part.
Is this what you meant?

Well, thank you for helping me dynamicsolo. I did get a step closer to the goal, and for the rest, I plan to ask a teacher tomorrow. I will go to bed now as it is 22:49 here. I will mark this as solved, and, thank you again dynamicsolo.

Related to Difficulties with my assignment. Need help if anyone is up to it.

What are the common difficulties students face with their assignments?

The most common difficulties students face with their assignments include understanding the task, managing time effectively, finding reliable sources, organizing their ideas, and meeting the expectations of their instructors.

Why do students struggle with their assignments?

Students may struggle with their assignments due to various reasons such as lack of understanding of the subject, inadequate preparation, procrastination, fear of failure, or a busy schedule.

What can I do if I am having difficulties with my assignment?

If you are having difficulties with your assignment, you can seek help from your instructor, classmates, or academic support services. You can also break down the task into smaller, manageable chunks, create a schedule, and ask for feedback from others.

How can I improve the quality of my assignment?

To improve the quality of your assignment, you can start by carefully reading the instructions, researching the topic thoroughly, using reliable sources, and organizing your ideas in a logical and coherent manner. You can also proofread your work and make necessary revisions before submitting it.

Can I get help with my assignment from someone else?

Yes, you can seek help with your assignment from reliable sources such as a tutor, writing center, or online writing service. However, it is important to make sure that the help you receive is in line with your instructor's guidelines and does not involve plagiarism.